Faculty approves Principled Problem Solving Experience Minor

Do you want to devote your minor to combating hunger, disease or corruption? A newly approved minor can enable you to do that.

The Principled Problem Solving Experience was approved by the faculty as a new minor on Sept. 5.

The PPSE was proposed by Mark Justad, director of the Center for Principled Problem Solving, and Kyle Dell, associate professor of political science. Justad and Dell made the proposal on behalf of the Strategic Long Range Planning subcommittee.

The PPSE is an interdisciplinary, experiential learning opportunity that students will complete over three or four semesters. Each PPSE will focus on a theme or topic related to community or social problems, and will be designed individually by faculty and students.

The PPSE will be implemented by a group of students that will be taking the same or similar courses and share common goals.

“Unlike most minors in which a minor is made up of taking existing classes that are identified, the PPSE is a specific set of classes (and) co-curricular experiential experiences, designed and identified by the planning faculty that is relevant to a particular theme or topic,” said Justad. “These are not fixed topics. They are created one at a time for a one-time experience by the leadership team, the faculty and the (CPPS) staff.

“This is a way (to ask) students and faculty to show us what principled problem solving means, rather than have it be defined by us here in the center or some document.”

“(Students) will be stretched and grow as a consequence (of participating in this program),”said Dan Mosca, chair of the CPPS Board of Advisors. “They will know themselves better, their strengths and weaknesses, after going through this minor. Students will be able to explore real-world problems and apply their knowledge, experience and deep-seated values to (life after college).”

Sherry Giles, SLRP subcommittee member, said, “I think that it’s an exciting opportunity for faculty and students, and I look forward to seeing what faculty (members) come up with as topics and course combinations for PPSEs. I’m also excited about the opportunity the PPSE offers for students and faculty to become engaged in addressing issues in the local community in collaboration with residents of Greensboro.”