Faculty opposes N.C. marriage amendment

This past Wednesday, the college’s faculty became the second Guilford College body to approve a proposal to oppose Amendment One. This comes after Community Senate passed a similar proposal earlier this year. CCE SGA is considering joining Community Senate in their declaration, but have yet to make a decision.

“Happy doesn’t begin to express how deeply moved I was,” said Associate Professor of Political Science Maria Rosales via email.

“In that moment when I realized the faculty were going to pass the resolution against the amendment, I was mostly thinking that throughout this campaign we’ve been saying that we aren’t going to let them divide us, and … the faculty’s decision today showed that we do have each other’s backs,” added Rosales

Associate Professor of Philosophy Lisa McLeod initiated the process.

Associate Professor of English Heather Hayton acknowledged McLeod’s work, saying via email,“This is the first time the Guilford faculty have passed such a resolution and (McLeod) was the driving force behind the effort.”

“I am thrilled that the Guilford faculty came together to support this resolution,” said Hayton. “Our resolution against Amendment One reflects the shared commitment to our core value of equality, especially.”

Amendment One is a proposed amendment to the N.C. constitution that would restrict legal recognition of partnerships to marriage between a man and a woman. Legal experts have said that Amendment One would affect partnerships other than same-sex marriages.

The amendment will be on the primary ballot on May 8.

“After years of general institutional support for gay rights, but also subtle marginalization when I attempted to get colleagues to confront homophobia, today’s action in our faculty meeting has made me proud to call myself a Guilfordian,” said Professor of Theatre Studies and Director of Study Abroad Jack Zerbe via email. “The faculty decided that our core values and mission trump all else. Today we not only talked the talk, we walked the walk.”

Check The Guilfordian next week for more coverage on this development.