Vote or die! Senate election day upcoming

Students don’t have to wait until November to have an election. Community Senate elections will be held on Monday, April 2. Traditional students, this is your chance to have a direct say in how your school is run.

“I am running (for president) because I am qualified and excited to fulfill the requirements of this position,” sophomore presidential candidate Rose McIntyre, from Onley, Md., said in an email interview.

“I am passionate about helping students learn the tools they need to accomplish their goals and I know enough about how Guilford works to help facilitate this.”

Junior Tim Leisman is also running for president this year. A third candidate recently withdrew her candidacy.

“There are issues within our community that keep students from focusing on problems in the outside community: housing, FYE and judicial process,” said Leisman, who is from Madison, Wis. “Students spend so much time concerned about these (things) that they don’t have time to get outside campus and put themselves in the larger world.”
McIntrye has similar goals.

“I hope to help create a culture of involvement and excitement through establishing systems of accountability,” McIntyre said. “More than anything I understand the wisdom of a collective body is infinitely more creative and capable than my own desires. I want to listen to the ideas of other students and use my knowledge of how Guilford works to help them realize their ideas.”

Both candidates have experience they plan to use if elected. Leisman has served on the Diversity Action Committee of Guilford College for a year. He is currently a Principled Problem Solving scholar.
McIntyre is currently serving as co-outreach coordinator of the Steering Committee. She has also served as a student representative on the Curriculum Committee.

The vice-presidential candidates are juniors Paula Skandis and Karen Turner.

“I’m running because I’d like to continue my involvement in Senate and be able to participate in a different capacity than I have so far,” said Skandis, who is from San Antonio, Texas.

Skandis continued, “I’d like to help with outreach, communication and in whatever organizational capacity Senate may require next year. I see the Senate vice president as a supportive and technically-based complement to a more vocal and potentially idea-acquiring president.”
Turner, who is from Purcellville, Va., told The Guilfordian her goals, as well.

“It may sound outlandish, but I truly want to clean up the lake,” said Turner. “I have some ideas for a fund raising campaign, so maybe we can finally get the ball rolling on that project idea.”
Turner continued, “I also want to see increased levels of involvement and outreach so that Senate can make Guilford an even better school than it is now.”

The candidates for treasurer are junior Robbie Ennis and first-year Alexander Morales.

“I have direct knowledge for this position, and I am confident I will be able to carry out the job efficiently,” said Ennis, who is from Hickory, N.C.

“I wish to accomplish an organized and well-run student body that looks out for the needs of everyone,” continued Ennis.
Morales also proposes improvements to the Senate’s budgeting practices.

“My slogan is ‘Keep it Simple,’ or KIS,” said Morales, who is from Philadelphia, Pa. “I’m running for treasurer because basically I’ve been to every budget meeting this semester. I’ve noticed some problems with keeping up with money.”

Morales continued, “If I’m elected, I want to streamline and digitize the process so it’s easier for the clubs to get reimbursed, and we can still maintain a close eye on where the money is. Basically, I would put the funds on a type of debit card for each club.”

Another position up for grabs is secretary. Junior Ali Krantzler from Philadelphia, Pa. is running unopposed.

“I’m running for secretary because I would like to be part of Senate at large and I would like to have power or the ability to have a more formal say in the decision-making process,” Krantzler said. “Politics has always been a great discussion topic at my family’s dinner table. That’s why I’m so into politics.”

The Inter-Club Council chair is now an elected position. However, the only registered candidate recently withdrew from the campaign. An option for write-in candidates will be available.

Community Senate elections give students a chance to improve Guilford College. Be sure to vote on April 2.