Paving the Way: The Class of 1963 Offers Wisdom

As I approach the end of my time at Guilford, I am reminded every day of what a special place it is. I know that even though I will be pursuing an opportunity far away from Greensboro after I graduate, Guilford will always have a place in my heart. I will always remember my friends and mentors at Guilford, because they helped make me the person I am today. I also know that I am not the only person who feels this way about Guilford; there is a reason we all decided to go here.

This connection to Guilford is by no means unique to the class of 2013. Generations of students have had similar experiences, and they still look back fondly upon the time they spent here. Almost any alum will be able to recall something they loved about their time at Guilford, whether it is a professor who helped them discover their passion in life or Serendipity during the 1980s, when the walkway between Bryan and Milner was lined with kegs.

Guilford’s alumni base represents a tremendous resource for current students as they prepare to leave college and seek out their place in the world.  Most of our alums are incredibly proud to have graduated from Guilford, and are more than willing to provide assistance to students who reach out to them about finding employment or anything else that they are able to help with. Additionally, they tend to be interesting people, many of whom have gone far in their chosen fields. Because of this, any event that provides a chance for current students to network with Guilford alums represents an amazing opportunity.

The Farm Lunch that is being hosted by the Office of Alumni Relations from noon to 2:00 p.m. on April 27 presents an excellent chance for graduating seniors to interact with members of Guilford’s Class of 1963, who will be on campus celebrating their 50th reunion. In addition to free food, students who attend will be able to make connections with another generation of Guilford graduates. Especially given the current state of the economy, the opportunities that this event presents cannot be overstated; I know I will be there with bells on. The class of 1963 is also excited about welcoming a new generation of Guilford alumni.

“We look forward to meeting you and welcoming you as the newest members of the Guilford College Alumni Association,” said Monty Milner, president of the class of 1963. “As alumni with 50 years of alumni experience, we can tell you that being an alumnus is a great experience, which you will appreciate more as each year goes by.”

In addition to hosting wonderful events like the Farm Lunch, the Office of Alumni Relations serves as a tremendous resource for graduating seniors as they transition from students to alumni. The office provides a wide variety of opportunities for alumni to stay involved with Guilford after graduation, whether it is through talking with prospective students, returning to campus to attend alumni events or taking advantage of one of the many other ways to stay involved that the Office of Alumni Relations offers. Graduation does not have to mean the end of your connection to Guilford. While we are students for only a short time in our lives, we will always be Guilford alums, and the Office of Alumni Relations is here to help should you desire to stay connected with Guilford.

For more information about the office, you can visit its website at alumni.guilford.edu.