Today’s top cover artists: go ahead, judge them by their covers

For the most part, YouTube cover artists are just like you and me. Besides the fact that they wear a lot more makeup, what sets them apart from us is that they attract listeners by the millions.

The Guilfordian recently interviewed three YouTube talents who have made their mark by recreating popular music: a 10-year-old Internet sensation from Atlanta, Ga., a world famous singer from Leeds, U.K., and an independent singer at the frontline of the industry.

Matthew Morris (YouTube Channel: MattyBRaps)

“I do not think of myself as famous,” MattyB told The Guilfordian.

At only 10 years of age, MattyB has accumulated 500 million views on YouTube, performed on the Today Show, and appeared in multiple Disney commercials.

MattyB is not famous; he is a child prodigy and an Internet sensation.

At the age of seven, MattyB kicked off his musical career with a creative cover of “Eenie Meenie” by Justin Bieber.

“I always watched my big cousin record and shoot,” MattyB said. “I kept bugging him to give me a chance. He did, and the video went viral.”

His recent version of another Bieber hit song, “Boyfriend,” attracted more than 60 million views.

“The song had a laid back rap and a falsetto hook,” said MattyB. “The combination was a surprise, and the video spread to millions of fans.”

Outside of singing and rapping, MattyB considers himself an ordinary third grader and prides himself in the Morris family tradition.

“My family teaches me that no matter what you achieve, you have to credit God for your success and stay grounded,” said MattyB. “I love my friends at school and baseball team, and I do not want that to change.”

Beth Wale (YouTube Channel: BethOfficial)

From the outskirts of Leeds, U.K., Beth had no intention of becoming a world famous cover artist. Before the age of 17, her singing career consisted of music lessons and talent show performances. In 2011, she released her first YouTube cover, “Someone Like You” by Adele.

“When I uploaded my first video, I had no idea what would happen,” Beth told The Guilfordian. “I really, really didn’t expect the amazing support from fans.”

The cover song created ripples around the world. In 2011, Beth became the most popular unsigned artist on U.S. Spotify.

Simple, yet uniquely captivating, her music videos depict a close-up shot of the blonde-haired, blue-eyed teenager and her microphone.

Beth’s vocal music echoes a similar spirit.

“I hope that (people) will see something unique in me,” said Beth. “I have really established a niche by slowing down dance tracks.”

With more than 5 million views on YouTube, Beth’s cover of “Don’t You Worry Child” by Swedish House Mafia is the most viewed cover of the song.

“The fact that I absolutely love singing that song really reflects through the vocals,” said Beth. “It has made a dance track into a heartfelt ballad.”

Tyler Ward (YouTube Channel: TylerWardMusic)

Recently rated a top five cover artist by OC Weekly, Ward had little interest in music early on. After high school, he embarked on a football career at the U.S. Air Force Academy Preparatory School.

Unsatisfied with that lifestyle, Ward left the academy and began recording music in his parents’ basement.

Since then, he has captured the spotlight with his impassioned voice and trademark acoustic guitar.

“I think I stand out because I make my covers my own,” Ward told The Guilfordian. “They have my voice on them.”

During the 2010 Winter Olympics, Ward covered Michael Jackson’s “We Are The World.”

He continued to impress on the big stage, rubbing shoulders with Rihanna and Boyce Avenue on two world tours.

In Sept. 2012, Ward released his first original album, “Hello. Love. Heartbreak.” The album seized the top honors on 15 iTunes singer/songwriter charts.

“Releasing the album was exciting and scary,” Ward said. “Every song was so personal. As an artist, it’s a real success if you can be that honest with your fans.”

Ward enjoys support from audiences worldwide but pursues music for other reasons.

“I get great feedback on my voice, which is very flattering,” said Ward. “But at the end of the day, I try to share my love for the song, my emotion and my hope to genuinely connect with people.”