Off the top of your head: self-expression through hairstyles around campus

Looking around campus on any given day, you will find a number of exclusive hair designs. In 2012, “uncommon” hairstyles like the mohawk and dreadlocks are not so uncommon anymore.

First-year Donovan Duvall’s self-proclaimed “double Skrillex” looks like a mohawk with a twist of cowbell.

“Basically, it’s like a rebellious thing,” said Duvall. “My mom likes my hair long. I don’t. I think it’s annoying. My double Skrillex keeps me happy for sure.”

For other students with wacky hairstyles, a rebellious attitude was not a deciding factor. All business in the front and party in the back, mullets remain popular in Hollywood films and in the sports world.

“Joe Dirt was an inspiration for sure,” said first-year Taylor Hunt. “I was a peanut hawker for the Asheville Tourists, so for me, my mullet got me fan recognition and more commissioned sales.”

Hunt cashed in at the ballpark with his fan-favorite mullet hairdo. However, other students have found that shorter hairstyles don’t step up their dating game. Senior Agymah Busch wears his hair in dreadlocks after noticing short hair just did not attract the type of women he was seeking.

“At first I thought being clean-cut was how you attract girls,” said Busch. “After I grew my dreadlocks, I found a certain group of people were attracted to me. I’ve heard I look like Aphrodite — I didn’t mean for that to happen.”

It’s not just men that like to experiment and look attractive. Women also love to try out new hairstyles.

“The first time I saw someone with a rat-tail, I was like, ‘I want that,’’’ said sophomore Raina Martens. “It was so weird, but so cool. My boss, a very traditional lady, just came up to me and said it was so cute.”

However, people’s judgmental opinions often stereotype individuals who sport rare hairdos.

“People will look at you in a certain way,” said senior Madison Heltzel, a dreadlock experimenter. “There’s definitely a stigma that comes with my hairstyle. I’ve heard people be down on it, especially claiming that a hairstyle belongs to a particular culture.”

Junior Miranda von Salis does not believe that coloring her hair bright colors is a big deal, considering that she is from New York, but she notices that people make false assumptions about her interests based on her unconventional hair color.

“My major is not color-oriented — I’m a philosophy and German major,” said von Salis. “People assume I’m a super art major or a musician because I have cherry bomb hair.”

Von Salis also works in the Career Development Center on campus, where she does not have to abide by strict hair policies.

“The people who hired (von Salis) looked past her hair because that’s not what defines her,” said Megan Corkery, coordinator of internships and career counselor. “She’s great at her job.”

Unique hairstyles and colored locks may not hinder getting an on-campus job, but students should realize that in today’s economy, hairdos may keep them from possible employment in a different environment.

Junior Isaiah Day wears a combination of an afro and a mohawk. Isaiah’s hairdo is identical to a little kid’s hairstyle at a homeless shelter where he works.

“I feel like I have the skills that can contribute to helping people, especially kids,” said Day. “My responsibility as a human being precedes my hairstyle.”

Day believes his hairstyle will not impede his ability to obtain a job in the field he desires. On the other hand, Gerald Little, director of environment services, has firsthand experience in understanding how a particular hairstyle can affect possible employment considerations.

“My son loves his cornrows so much, he declined a job offer,” said Little. “The next job he was offered, he accepted the responsibility and cut his hair. I would have made him cut it off if I would have known that was the reason for not getting the first job.”

As a supervisor, Little has to be cautious about judging potential employees when hiring new personnel. “Through my son, I’ve learned to not judge a book by its cover,” said Little. “Styles change.”

Styles definitely change, but distinctive hairstyles let people express the story behind their hair.

[photomosaic nggid=37]