Fall sports review of 2011 Quaker teams

Women’s Volleyball

The Quakers finished the season with a 12-15 overall record and 5-5 in the Old Dominion Athletic Conference. Guilford struggled out of the gates, losing 12 of its first 16 games. 

However, the Quakers did not lose faith as they finished the season on a good note winning their last five regular season games. Although they lost to Lynchburg in the ODAC quarterfinal, the team is expected to take the lessons learned into next season.

Laura Kopald led the team in total kills with 219, Taylor Whitley in total assists with 814, and Taylor Phillips with 450 total digs. 

The Quakers, as a team, averaged 9.8 assists per set, 10.6 kills per set, 1.9 service aces per set, and 14.7 digs per set. 

Women’s Soccer

The women’s soccer team finished the season with the most wins since 2006, with a 10-8-2 overall and 5-4-2 in the ODAC. The two draws were against Washington and Lee 0-0 and at Emory & Henry 1-1. Both matches went into double overtime. 

The Quakers completed the season with 38 goals in 20 games, and averaged 13.6 shots per game. First-year forward Hannah Schlitz led the team with 10 goals. As for goalkeeping, senior Amy Baker led the way with 67 saves for the season. Her record for her last season as a Quaker was 7-8-2.

Men’s Soccer

The men’s team finished the year with a 6-9-2 overall record and 3-7 in the ODAC. Both of their draws went into double overtime against N.C. Wesleyan 0-0 and Greensboro College 2-2 respectively. 

The season was up-and-down in terms of wins and losses but flashes of a good year to come was evident in the play of junior Freddy Gomez. He led the team in total shots and scored 11 goals, three of which were game winners. 

The team scored 23 goals in 17 games averaging 1.4 goals scored per game on 15.7 shots on goal per game. Goalkeeper Peter Truitt made 67 saves over the course of the year and finished with a 5-8-2 record.

Football 

Guilford football, albeit with a 2-8 record, improved greatly from last year’s winless season. 

The Quakers’ offense averaged 338 yards per game of total offense, 103.8 rushing yards, finishing as fifth best team in the ODAC on the ground, and fourth best in the ODAC averaging 234.5 yards through the air.

The defense led the ODAC in sacks with 25 for 158 yards, ranked seventeenth nationally in that department and tied for forty-second nationally in sacks per game with 2.50, according to ncaa.com. The Quakers also finished second in the ODAC in time of possession with an average of 32:32 per game.