I’m dreaming of a green Christmas

%28Joy+Damon%2FGuilfordian%29
(Joy Damon/Guilfordian)

Because of the wastefulness inherent in the holidays, it’s important to celebrate sustainably in order to save money and reduce your environmental impact. In addition to giving, throughout the holidays we consume and waste a great deal, so consider these tips, save some cash and invest greenly.

• Bust out the awkward sweaters, turn down the heat and reduce your energy bill.
  • Create your own gifts, cards and ornaments to save money and packaging.

“Homemade gifts are more sentimental,” said senior Peter King. “Making something special for someone becomes more about the gift than the money.”

• Be your own decorator: reuse old greeting cards or make garlands from strung popcorn or cranberries. Make pretty wreaths with artificial greenery and festive potpourri containing kitchen spices like cinnamon and cloves.
  • Let baking cookies fill your apartment or house with a delicious holiday aroma. After baking, leave the oven door open to warm up the house.
  • Tote your own reusable bags from home when going to the store to reduce paper and plastic waste.
  • Stir up some warm chili for a winter meal. Include earth-friendly local and organic vegetables like tomatoes, corn, black beans, carrots, garlic and spices. Substitute veggie crumbles for ground beef to have a vegetarian delight.
  • Local animals are more environmentally-friendly than conventional meats; try free-range turkey or pasture-raised beef or pork.
  • Wrap gifts in recycled wrapping paper from other holidays or in old newspaper, or use bags instead of wrapping paper.

“My family uses the funnies for gifts and we only give each other things we make by hand like scarves or quilts,” said junior Ailey Greig.

“For Christmas, we put our presents in bags rather than wrapping paper,” said Sustainability Engagement Consultant Bryce Bjornson.

• Turn off and unplug lights during the day to prolong light bulb life expectancy, reduce energy use and cut your electricity bill.
  • Recognize the long-term value of a gift by its durability. Give presents that can be reused or recycled, not gifts that will be thrown away.
  • Regifting is cheap, easy and reduces waste. Just be careful not to give a gift back to the same person who gave it to you.
  • Be sure to recycle beverage containers, from cans to bottles.
  • Reduce tree disposal: buy a potted tree so that you can plant it after the holidays.
  • Be aware that having friends and relatives over can increase water waste. Use water consciously.

Practice these tips and enjoy the warmth of chili, awkward sweaters and family. Having a green holiday brings in new traditions and saves money. May you, dear reader, have a merry one.

Meg Holden contributed to this article