Sports Wrap-Week of 10-25 through 11-2

10/25/2011

Women’s Volleyball

Guilford rallied past Emory & Henry, 3-2, in their penultimate game of the regular season. The Quakers were able to battle back, after Emory & Henry took the first and third sets. Emma Gunn led the Quakers with 16 kills, followed by Mary Moody, who added 12 kills and 14 digs. Laura Kopald had 10 putaways and Brittany DeCesare added eight kills. Taylor Whitley also recorded 5 kills, Malikah French 4 kills, and Taylor Phillips finished with 15 digs. Emory & Henry’s Jamie Cockerham recorded a game-high 19 kills, along with 19 digs, three aces, and three blocks. 

10/25/2011

Men’s Soccer

Guilford fell to Randolph, 2-1 in their last home game of the regular season. Both teams scored a goal each in the first half, but the Quakers were eventually defeated with a Wildcat goal in the seventy-ninth minute. Freddy Gomez scored the Quakers’ lone goal in the match, finishing with eleven goals in the season, his career high. Wildcat keeper Carter Smith had four saves in the victory. Quaker keeper Peter Truitt, in his final college appearance, came up with one save. 

10/27/2011

Women’s Volleyball

Guilford won 3-0 at Salem, for their fifth straight game, and tenth win in 13 games to finish off the regular season. Laura Kopald and Mary Moody led the Quakers with eight kills each. Kopald also added three aces and two blocks. Malikah French had six kills, five of which put away the third set. Taylor Whitley had 30 assists, two aces and nine digs. Taylor Phillips had a game-high 14 digs, while Moody finished with 13. Randi Rappolo led the Spirits with five kills and two aces. The Quakers, with a 12-14 record, earned the sixth seed in the upcoming conference tournament. 

10/29/2011

Football

Guilford fell to Hampden-Sydney at home, 63-49. The Quakers’ Zac Halbert completed 30-of-60 for 396 yards in the eleventh best passing day in school history. Halbert helped get the Quakers off to a good start with three of his career high seven touchdowns coming in the first half. However, in the second half, the Tigers overcame their slow start, and took the game away for good, even after several Quaker attempts at a comeback. The 112 points scored by both teams is the second most in Guilford history, with a 1901 Clemson defeat of Guilford, 122-0 the highest combined point total. 

10/29/2011

Women’s Soccer

Guilford ended its season to Roanoke in the Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) Tournament quarterfinal, 2-0. The Maroons scored once in each half of the match to take away the game, with Cindy Suttora and Carmen Graves scoring respectively. Roanoke led the struggling Quakers in shots, 9-1. Maroons keeper Carolyn Sarabacher stopped the Quakers’ lone shot in the first half, while Guilford keeper Amy Baker finished with three saves for Guilford. Guilford’s season ended with the most wins since 2006.

11/2/2011

Women’s Volleyball