Football season draws to a close

%28Zach+Morgan%29
(Zach Morgan)

Guilford’s one hundred-fourth recorded football season will draw to a close Nov. 12 with the final game against Emory and Henry College.

The team has rallied together since their game against Hampden-Sydney on Oct. 29 en route to scoring a victory over Catholic University last Saturday 34-27, Nov. 5. 

“I think the confidence that we got from the Hampden-Sydney game, carried over to this past Saturday, and this confidence will carry this whole week until our last game,” said junior defensive back Brandon Thompson. 

The past two games have signified a new beginning for the team. They are ready to tackle any challenge now that they have overcome so many pitfalls and bumps in the road. 

“The only way you gain experience is by going through the tough times, and we had a chance to do that,” said Head Coach Chris Rusiewicz.

The team is already functioning 200 percent better than they did last year with two glorious triumphs versus last year’s 0 win season. 

“There’s been more cohesiveness as a team than in past years,” said Thompson. “The coach, all the transfers and the freshmen that came, the players that were already here, it was attitude, it was everything that has made this year’s season so successful.”

The new spirit of the football team was achieved through constant hard work and continuous effort of gaining more experience. 

“We taught them things from how to face adversity, to how to continue to be focused, how to believe in trust, in one another, the coaches, and the program,” said Rusiewicz. “And they continue to learn and get better with that and experience.”     The team hopes to take this experience all the way and to end the season with a win over Emory and Henry’s Wasps, which would give them a two game streak. 

“We’re all expecting a good game, hopefully a good turn-out too,” said Thompson. 

Rusiewicz agreed that he anticipates a great game, but that it will also be a challenge for his young team. 

“I think the one thing Emory and Henry has over us is years of experience…but our kids have worked hard and they want it,” said Rusiewicz…There’s definitely promise there and I think the kids are excited about that.”

The football team has achieved many of their goals for this year: coming together as a team, winning games, and reaching levels of new-found confidence and experience. Now it is up to us as a community to come out and support them, especially in their final endeavor for the year.

So show your support not only for our team, but also for our school this Saturday by coming out and cheering on Quaker football at Appenzeller Field at 1 p.m. 

“We’re playing for everybody here and that’s really who we are and what we’re trying to represent,” said Rusiewicz.