Powderpuff football reverses the roles

(Guilfordian Staff Writer)
(Guilfordian Staff Writer)

Down, set, hut! It was slightly odd to hear these words on Appenzeller field uttered not by Guilford’s football team, but from a huddle of female players. It was a brisk night on the turf field, but the large fluorescent stadium lights were not what created heat on the field…

It was the heated competition felt between two teams of female football players. While it was a casual match meant to bring spirit to the Guilford campus, this year’s powderpuff football team brought their own sparks to the game. 

Once a year as part of Guilford’s Homecoming weekend, students get to reverse the traditional roles as the Guilford community takes to the field for the annual powder-puff game.

Students and student-athletes alike teamed together as a part of either the white or crimson team in order to reach the ultimate goal – victory. 

But what is the driving force behind participation in this game?

“I wanted to do something aside from my usual basketball, I wanted to try something new and meet new people and I think I succeeded,” said sophomore Khenti-sha Iyi, a participant in the game.

While participants threw their schoolbooks into their desks to head to the field, a few were hesitant about stepping outside their normal routines.

“At first I was a bit nervous because there were going to be so many athletic girls there,” said Iyi, a participant in the game, “but once I got there it was a different story.”

As a member of the Guilford women’s basketball team, Iyi knows what it is like to bond with teammates. And even though this wasn’t a basketball game, Iyi could feel the community on the turf as well. 

“Everyone was really nice and just wanted to have a good time,” said Iyi. “I definitely made a lot of new friends and have a unique relationship with so many new people now.”

As a part of homecoming tradition at Guilford, the powder-puff football game seems to have done its job as a prime opportunity to build some Quaker spirit and get people involved.

“I think it’s a great chance for students to get out and use the awesome facilities we have at Guilford and compete and have fun,” said Assistant Director of Student Leadership and Engagement Steve Moran. “Students who wouldn’t usually get the chance to play can come out and have some fun with it and be a part of an awesome tradition.” 

This game was labeled as a community- builder between students and student-athletes, addressing the popular topic of a student-athlete divide here at Guilford.

“It’s not locked down to just one sect of students who can come out and play,it allows for the different groups that may build up during the year a chance to mix and meet friends to break down some of those walls that we create during the school year,” said  Student Coordinator of Intramural Sports Caleb Whited-Ford, a member of the junior class.

Deep into the first semester of the year and in the midst of midterms, stress abounds and exercise is a proven stress-reliever. These students go out to get their game on while making new friends.

“A lot of students from different backgrounds come out, play and have fun,” said Moran.

Not only did students come out to participate in the twilight game of flag football, spectators fought the chilly night and came out in layers of jackets to support Guilford students and build homecoming spirit. 

Just who came out to take the role of sideline cheerleaders? These spectators were none other than Guilford’s own varsity football team.