International athletes celebrate and appreciate Hispanic Heritage Month

Fall is in the air, as September passes by. The weather is cooler, football and soccer season are in full swing, and Hispanic Heritage Month has begun. Hispanic Heritage Month began on Sept. 15 which marked the independence days of five Spanish-speaking countries. The United States began to recognize this period of celebration in 1988. 

Guilford and its student body, from the clubs to athletic organizations, have been celebrating and emphasizing the importance of the contributions of Hispanic cultures to our multicultural community. Guilford College is known for its recognition of multiple cultures, and this is no exception. Much celebrating has been happening, and in the world of sports, Hispanic culture has made an impact on some of our student-athletes today.

Ronnie Castellanos, junior midfielder for the men’s soccer team, hails from Honduras and says that the culture of his homeland still affects him to this day, on and off the field.

“Before every game, my parents would always tell me to remember where we came from and to give 110 percent,” said Castellanos

He also stressed the importance of academics and the fact that young adults from other cultures, even those over 21, actually listen to their parents, a fact that could baffle the average American college student who is looking for independence from home. Castellanos also says that home cooking is also a big part of his culture, something that could be somewhat familiar to us Southerners who enjoy the swapping of recipes and family unity in the kitchen. 

“Hispanic Heritage month was a foreign concept to me until I came to Guilford College,” said junior lacrosse player Katherine Falzareno. “I was born in Costa Rica and adopted when I was three with my two older sisters by an American couple. It has become a very important month for me because I learn not only about my own culture, but about the importance of different ethnic backgrounds and the impact each individual has on educating one another. I am blessed to be surrounded by people who feel strongly about educating one another and being confident in their identity.”

The first day of Hispanic Heritage Month also marks the independence days of five Spanish-speaking countries, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, and Nicaragua. 

“Guilford does a good job with the celebration (of Hispanic Heritage Month),” said Castellanos. “We (HUG-Hispanos Unidos de Guilford) encourage people to come out to our events. It’s very important that the Guilford community learn about other cultures.”

As Hispanic Heritage month continues into part of October to celebrate the importance of Hispanic cultures, there is likely to even be more events happening around campus. Hopefully, as the month passes by, students (athletes and non-athletes alike) will be able to come together and learn more about each other and where they came from. 

“I have found my own family here at Guilford College when it comes to celebrating my background,” said Falzareno. Being a member of H.U.G and M.L.S.P (Multicultural Leadership Scholars Program), I have learned what it really means to be Spanish and I have been able to celebrate my identity more each year.”

“Many individuals that are not hispanic do not participate in the events centered around Hispanic heritage month, but what many don’t understand is that this month is not only to show Hispanic pride, but it is also to educate people about the hispanic populations in Greensboro and around the world. This is a central goal at Guilford College and is why Hispanic Heritage Month is so important in breaking barriers through the education system.”