Student organizations plan first ever Fall Fest

The sweet smell of celebration is in the air. But it is not springtime, so it is not Serendipity. That can only mean that a new festival is stepping forth, and Guilford students are to thank.

Fall Fest, as the upcoming event is currently being called, is being planned and paid for by student organizations. Senior and Inter-Club Council Chair Elijah DaCosta and Director of Student Leadership and Engagement Erin Fox came up with the idea with the purpose of building community between students and student organizations while celebrating the initiative of student leaders.

“(DaCosta) has worked hard to create relationships between student organizations,” said Fox.

The first meeting specifically for Fall Fest took place on Sept. 17, with events being planned for Halloween weekend.

Some tentative activities include pumpkin carving, a dance party, a bonfire, mask making and a masquerade, a scavenger hunt, pet therapy with furry friends on campus, horror-film showings, and a music event through WQFS.

Other proposed ideas include a haunted house or ghost walk, trick-or-treating, and a murder-mystery, live-action dinner — imagine playing the board game Clue in person.

“It’s a lot better planning it as one big festival instead of separate events,” said DaCosta.

But festivals cost money, and because this is the first year of Fall Fest, there is no budget for it.

Events on campus are paid for by the $165 per semester Student Activities Fee that traditional students pay as part of tuition. This money goes to Community Senate, which then provides each student organization with its yearly budget, along with budgeting for special events and one-time activities.

The money from student groups is funding Fall Fest, with groups sponsoring and co-sponsoring upcoming events for the community celebration.

“I personally think this a great opportunity to increase campus involvement and create a stronger sense of community and service learning on campus,” said senior Kereith Pinnock, project coordinator of Project Community in an email interview.

Community building began with groups planning Fall Fest. There have been events around Halloween in the past, but what makes Fall Fest unique is the interaction and communication between clubs.

“We get to make Fall Fest what it is, and next year’s students get to move forward from there,” said senior Rebekah Burlason, vice president of Outdoors Club.

Sophomore Emily Eadie, treasurer of Yachting Club, explained a possible problem for this year’s event.

“The only roadblock I can foresee is that Conferences and Events has lost some people this year and has a lot on their backlog,” Eadie said.

The Office of Conferences and Events is responsible for the reservation of certain places at certain times. As events are laid out, it remains to be seen if this will become a problem.

There will be activities for Fall Fest regardless. The ideas and work of students have put the festival into motion, and Fall Fest will be a way to celebrate that hard work, this community, and the fall in general.

“If there is anything that Guilford is, it’s this: bringing together the incredible creativity and resources and goodwill of students,” said Fox.

If you would like to help build the first-ever Fall Fest, contact DaCosta, Fox, or a club officer. Individual students are able to assist student organizations, or they can work to set up their own events, including vendor stands or music events — anything to highlight Guilford’s talent.

“Help plan it, promote it, and partake in it,” said junior Paula Skandis, Communications and Campus Life chair.

Stay watchful for a calendar of events that will be put out as activities are set in stone.