Greek life: an untapped possibility

%28Cloud+Gamble%29
(Cloud Gamble)

Greek Life. The term is shunned, run away from, and otherwise a non-existent entity on Guilford College campus.

But why should it be? Why shun something that actually supports our values?

Guilford is a school that supports community, diversity, excellence, integrity, justice, and stewardship.

But did you catch that? Missing is “equality” because many students don’t believe that Greek Life is “equal.”

Mind you, not all fraternities and sororities are equal. They select who they want in their exclusive groups, but we already do that at Guilford if you think about it: sports teams, first-year housing, and theme houses.

Sports teams are picked by coaches, first-year housing is based on year standing, and theme houses are just groups of friends with a mission — they are all exclusive groups that already exist on Guilford campus. So, adding another exclusive group wouldn’t change that many of our social values.

“I sort of think of Guilford women’s rugby as a sisterhood,” said sophomore Emily Morazán. “We are a group of girls who work hard and have fun together.”

And is that not what fraternities and sororities are at heart — groups of individuals who work hard and have fun together?

However, many would consider the definition of “fun” in this context as partying.

“It far too often really boils down to, ‘we want to party,'” said Max Carter. “Alcohol is enough of a problem at Guilford; adding a Greek system to it would only exacerbate the problem.”

But with the steady disappearance of traditional bonfires, there are fewer social opportunities, and Greek life — or a brotherhood/sisterhood type program — could solve this.

Giving students an opportunity to meet new people through rushing and multiple Greek family parties are some things bonfires have given us in the past.

Social opportunities that clubs initiate surround one issue, maybe two, and nothing more. They strive to solve, serve, provide, or complete their goal, while sisterhood and brotherhood are brought about by core values, certain issues, and the idea that they have each other’s backs.

Specifically, sisterhoods and brotherhoods are social-justice driven clubs: they are required to do philanthropic work, but with a social focus.

Sisterhoods and brotherhoods would also be held to certain standards; hazing wouldn’t exist — and if anyone even tried, the entire campus would know within a day.

Hazing, partying, and the idea of rush week are all negative ideas that surround Greek life. Guilford is already a nontraditional place as it is, so therefore there would be less, or even none at all, of the traditional Greek life problems.

These negative associations only cover a small portion of Greek life and sisterhoods/brotherhoods. Greek life can bring about community and hospitality and teach vital leadership skills for later in life.

Guilford does not necessarily have to have Greek life and would not have to make these sisterhoods and brotherhoods the center of attention. But they would be a little something extra for students who wish, or wished, to be part of a sisterhood/brotherhood and are not able to get that here.

Sisterhoods and brotherhoods may not be brought about today, and probably not tomorrow, but it is a thought.