Signing up for a hoppin’ good time

“Sign up for German club!” “Hey, want to sign up for fencing?”

On Aug. 31, Founders Lawn echoed with the sounds of the annual Student Involvement and Employment Fair. Guilford College’s clubs and organizations came together to attract students to extra-curricular activities.

Guilford Film Society, the Greenleaf Review, and Greensboro Roller Derby were among the various organizations that had stations on Founders Lawn. Community Senate even had a face painting station, where you could turn your face into a piece of art.

“We try to get as many students as we can out here to see what Guilford has to offer,” said Steve Moran, assistant director of student leadership and engagement.

“We want students, especially first-years, to see how awesome and diverse opportunities are on campus.”

In true Guilford fashion, the event had a casual vibe that only Quakers could provide. Students would go to stations of their choosing, ask a few questions, and sign up for the mailing list or just move on to the next station after their conversation. More importantly, this event stresses the need for students to get involved with Guilford and the community.

“I’m very happy to see a lot of first-year students at the event,” said Erin Fox, director of student leadership and engagement. “It’s important to find places to connect with Guilford and the campus community.”

For the clubs and organizations, this event presents opportunities for first-years and all students.

“This event gets the word out about your club or organization and what you do,” said German Club President Kim Kleimeier. “You get to talk face-to-face with other students and they get to ask questions. I’m glad we get to do this because it’s more personal this way.”

For some students, the event also means taking the next step and joining a club.

“This event is great because we get a lot of new recruits, who we hope will come and try out,” said Biohazard Ultimate Frisbee Captain Ben Ardel. “The event was successful and fun. We’re a great bunch of people who are community-oriented and get involved as a team.”

The event featured over 35 clubs and organizations and had a couple hundred people turn out to see what activities were being offered.

Most of the stations had long lists of students that signed up and showed interest in the activities offered. Even President and Professor of Political Science Kent Chabotar came to take a gander at what the students had to offer.

“By signing up to a club or organization, you are being connected to the campus community,” said Fox. “It inspires students both individually and as a whole. Being a part of an organization gives students a more holistic experience at Guilford.”

Overall, it was a hoppin’ good time, and many students will be joining new clubs and activities.

“This fair is a testament to our wonderful students here at Guilford and how involved they are outside of class,” said Moran. “It’s awesome to see students find new opportunities.”