Soup Bowl ’11 Presents Hearty Competitors

%28Zachary+Morgan%29
(Zachary Morgan)

As summer comes to a close, Hurricane Irene and the East Coast earthquake of 2011 have passed, and Guilford College prepares for an entirely, but all important battle. A gridiron battle: Soup Bowl time.

The 15th annual Soup Bowl between the Guilford College Quakers and the Greensboro College Storm will again be on the agenda Saturday, Sept. 3, 2011. The game will take place at Jamieson Stadium, on the campus of Grimsley High School, at 1 p.m

Head Coach Chris Rusiewicz will take his men into battle for the first time against the Storm, as both teams hold an even record in the series with seven wins each. 

“I look toward our seniors and upper classmen leadership to get the program going,” said Rusiewicz. “I want discipline and effort to be mainstays of this program.”

The Storm holds bragging rights for the past two games after stealing last year’s game 17-15, staging an epic second-half comeback to beat the Quakers. Quarterback Seth Adams ran wild in the second half of the game en route to two touchdowns, one being the game-winner. 

Off the field, the game is a facilitator for a canned food drive to rival no other. Last season’s game saw the two colleges amass an amazing seven, 101 cans of food, which will be presented to the host school’s charity of choice. This season, the goods will be presented to the Greensboro Urban Ministry and the Second Harvest Food Bank of Northwest, NC, with the canned drive winner announced at the game’s halftime. It’s a great cause associated with a great game. 

The Quakers welcome back 11 starters from last year’s squad. Rusiewicz said he has adjusted the defensive to a 4-2-5 scheme, “in order to confuse young quarterbacks that play the position.” 

On the others side of the ball, Greensboro College appears to be ready for the challenge. “Our players always get up for this game, but we do not forget that we have Emory and Henry to play after this game,” said Head Coach Dr. Randy Hunt.

Noticing that the Storm may be looking past the Soup Bowl adds motivation to the Quaker faithful.

I can’t wait to get out there and win a game and crack some skulls,” said defensive end Kyle Ennis ’12.

Bragging rights or not, the game promises to always be a great outing for students, alumni, and fans alike. Make sure that you clear your calendar for a good three-hour battle that is sure to please. Tickets are $5.00 for adults and $3.00 for students, or patrons can bring two canned goods in lieu of admission. 

Help rebuild the diminishing shelves of the Urban Ministry and the Second Harvest Food Bank, represent the Quakers, and show your community spirit as the Soup Bowl produces yet another thriller.