Noah Ratner: On the cusp of breaking through

%28Sharp+Hall%29
(Sharp Hall)

Noah Ratner ’13 is Guilford’s most outstanding golfer. Not to mention an up and comer in the world of golf in general. If you think, however, that his success comes easily or without difficulties, you’d be dead wrong.

“Golf is my life right now,” said 2010-2011 PING first-team All-American Ratner. “I only started playing when I was 13, but I’ve improved every year and getting better is what drives me.”

As others were preparing for classes, Ratner was participating in the Wyndham Championships, where he missed making the cut at the event by two strokes. “It was a pretty cool experience,” said Ratner. “I made qualifiers and wasn’t playing so well, but I got it turned around and shot a three under 69.”

“For Noah the light really came on last year with his work ethic,” said Head Golf Coach Corey Maggard. “He still works on days off … nobody works harder than he does.”

Noah’s hard work paid off with 2010-2011 First Team All-Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) and ODAC golfer of the year honors, but he has yet to win a tournament as a collegiate golfer.

“He’s the best golfer ever at Guilford to have not won a tournament,” said Maggard. “He’s had so many second and third place finishes but he’ll break through … he just needs to be patient and continue to work.”

“It’s been pretty frustrating,” said Ratner. “My goal is to win this year.”

Ratner’s rise up the rankings and his immense skill level forced him to become a leader as early as his sophomore year. “Even as a sophomore he was being a leader for our team,” said Maggard. “He’s a good representation of how to act to all our younger guys”.

“I just try to keep a good frame of mind and that can help influence (the younger guys),” said Ratner.

Outside of golf Ratner enjoys hanging out with friends and general relaxation, but of course, golf always comes first.

Additionally, Ratner interests include sports management. “I wouldn’t be surprised if he made a career out of something golf related,” said Associate Professor of Sport Studies Bob Malekoff. “There are many Guilford alumni who could help him reach that goal.”

As for the future Ratner’s aspirations towards professional golf are still a ways away, “pro golf is a dream for me right now,” said Ratner.

If Ratner continues on the path he is right now and continues to expand his game, there is no doubt that the PGA is not too far-fetched of a dream.

“Everything’s clicking for him right now,” said Maggard.