A commitment to winning

%28Lucas+Blanchard-Glueckert%29
(Lucas Blanchard-Glueckert)

Winning is an attitude, and that attitude must be infectious for a team in order for that team to be successful.

That attitude has never been more present than it is now, in the hearts and the minds of the 2011-12 Guilford College football squad. It began when newly hired Head Coach Chris Rusiewicz from Ursinus College took the reins.

Since spring practices began, the Quakers made advancements in their play that have been noticeable. After a winless season in 2010, definite changes were needed to give the team an identity. This would foster confidence and most of all, wins.

“I have seen major improvement in each of our scrimmages,” said Rusiewicz. Our short game looks good and the kids are improving from week to week.”

Improvement was noticed in the Red-White scrimmage, held on Aug. 2 at the Armfield Athletic Center. Both teams, split equally in talent, played to a 10-10 first half, with the Red squad pulling out an 17-10 win on a late touchdown drive.

“Other than two injuries, one maybe an ACL injury, I am pleased with the outcome,” said Rusiewicz.

Helping Rusiewicz guide the team are his newly appointed staff, Chris Barnette ’07 as the offensive coordinator, James Brochu for the linebackers, Emmanuel Byers for the running backs, Marty Collinson for the cornerbacks, Thomas Reese for the wide receivers, Steve Terlesky for the safeties and Zach Zullinger for the defensive line and special teams.

The team has been picked to finish in seventh place (with six first-place votes) in the Old Dominion Athletic Conference. Of course, pre-season rankings provide a good guide for the way that a team will perform but, the proof is shown in how they perform when they actually hit the field for regular season play.

Changing defensive schemes was the first step in that process, as Coach Rusiewicz installed a new 4-2-5 defense in order to highlight the depth the team has in the defensive backfield.

Senior Chris Jessup will again lead the defense, although this season he will be placed in a different position. A second-team All-ODAC selection last season, Jessup finished the season as the third leading tackler in the ODAC with 83 tackles.

“The defense is looking very promising. We are ready to take on some tough competition,” said sophomore defensive-back Quan Parker.

The Quakers will open play Sept. 3 at Greensboro College in the 15th annual Soup Bowl which promises to be a competitive game.

This game not only has meaning for the two institutions but also for the can food drive that it fosters, as both colleges collect can foods for the local Urban Ministry and the Second Harvest Food Bank of Northwest North Carolina.

An undefeated season is the pinnacle of what all football players and coaches strive for from the last game of the previous season. If the effort that a team exudes makes them accomplish that goal, the Quaker’s squad is well on the way to making strides toward a much better season.

“I am really confident and excited about what we can and what we are going to do this year,” said junior wide receiver Brandon Thompson.