The first year: a time for exploration

%28%29
()

Class is again in session at Guilford. Students have their class schedules ready and are excited for what the new semester will bring. For the many that spent their summer away from Guilford, the campus is a familiar site.

Except for first-years.

Meagan Jolliffe, student success counselor, put being a first-year student into perspective: “Being a first year is like a dream — everything is completely different. You’re the leader of your life with so many opportunities.”

Guilford offers a new and exciting environment, free of parents and set schedules, for all of its first-year students. College is the start of something great and should be cherished. I still remember moving into Milner in the fall of 2007 and have great memories from that year.

However, there are things that I know now that I wish I had known back then.

Besides the mundane “eat right and get enough sleep” spiel, the biggest piece of knowledge that I can pass down after being at Guilford for four years is this: Guilford is an accepting place, so try out new activities and experiences.

Director of Student Leadership and Engagement Erin Fox echoes this point.

“Your first year of college is all about exploration,” said Fox. “Don’t be afraid to look outside your box and try new things.”

This can be playing intramural sports, taking a music class, working in the Greenleaf, joining a club, or asking a classmate to hang out after class. Whatever it is, get outside your comfort zone and explore Guilford for all it’s worth. I promise you won’t regret it.

“You have to test your boundaries and be open-minded,” said Hall Director and Student Success Mentor Justin Shreve. “I wish I had gotten involved with Guilford a lot earlier than I did. The Guilford community is very accepting, and I’m grateful for all the opportunities given to me here.”

Another key piece is that students need to find a balance between social life and school work. Everyone is different. This is why the Learning Commons is so vital.

“The Learning Commons isn’t a scary place to be,” said Jolliffe. “Seeking help is a strength; the essence of the Learning Commons is to cultivate critical thinking.”

Even if a student just picks up a handy semester calendar to map out their work for the semester (which I still do), the Learning Commons is here to help.

Faculty members are here to help students as well. I strongly encourage first-years to get to know their professors. At Guilford, you aren’t some number who will never be recognized; you will get to call your professor by his or her first name and be invited to their house for dinner. The professors here care about you and want to push you to succeed.

“Being on a personal level with teachers is great,” said junior Karyle Miller. “I can talk to my professors about academics, life, and what’s going on in the world.”

The last piece of knowledge that I can give is simple: be true to yourself. Everyone at Guilford is here to help if you need it. Even though Guilford may seem small, there is a world of opportunities waiting to be grabbed.

In the words of Erin Fox, “Don’t be at college, be in college.”