Homegrown Film Festival showcases student films

Students and faculty involved in the fifth annual Homegrown Film Festival gather for a photo.(Bottom row, from left) First-year Zachary Kronisch, junior Aaron Bland, and junior Emily Hutter. (Top row, from left) Visiting Assistant Professor of Theatre Studies and faculty advisor Chad Phillips, sophomore Polly Zittenberg, first-year Lindsay Vanderhoogt, first-years Kelly Cope, junior Dima Hanania, first-year Alice Gushue, and junior Becca Bacon. (Douglas Reyes-Ceron)

The captivating appeal of cinema is the perfect excuse for a night out with friends, significant others, and popcorn. Yesterday, however, students needed look no further than their own backyards to experience an array of organically produced film experiences.

Including a diverse series of films whose topics ranged from a music video about the rapper in “Superteam” to a documentary about the “Stick Art” in the Quad, the fifth annual Homegrown Film Festival, held on Thursday, April 21, showcased student talent and engaged the Guilford community in an informative and entertaining manner.

“The Homegrown Film Festival started as a way for students to showcase their end-of-the-semester video projects for class,” said Chad Phillips, director of the Film Studies Department and coordinator of the festival. “Although most of the students who have submitted films are film studies minors, a number of students from outside the (program) also participate.”

The festival, hosted by the Guilford Film Society, featured 13 films focusing on common themes of environmental and local issues. Many of the films that have been shown in previous years have brushed with controversy, and this year proved to be no exception.

“One year we featured a documentary called ‘Defining Yourself by Race,'” said Aaron Bland, founder of the Guilford Film Society. “At other times we have shown films featuring nudity.”

Some participants expressed concern that fellow students would not understand the significance of their films or the issues surrounding them.

“I’m a little worried that some people in our community might have found my documentary about crow-hunting on farms offensive, considering that, generally speaking, Guilford students don’t hunt for sport,” said student filmmaker and participant Charlie Councilman. “The truth is that in many places, crows can be major pests.”

This year’s festival is the second time that prizes will be given out for films, with first, second, and third place awards being given. The first place prize will go to the film which the judges feel best represents the Guilford community and its unique qualities.

“Without question, this is one of the best years that the Homegrown Film Festival has had,” said Phillips. “All of the films that have been shown are of really high quality, which will make judging them very difficult.”

Among the several films shown in the festival that featured Guilford-related themes is a documentary about two students, Zachary Kronisch and Michael Robles, who spent three days fasting in the campus woods. While most of the films entered into the festival averaged 10 to 15 minutes in length, this film lasted 45 minutes.

“One of the most important parts of the festival is for people to come out and see the incredible talent that students have — and to encouraging other students to participate in the filmmaking process,” said sophomore and festival co-coordinator Polly Rittenberg.

“For me the most significant part of the Homegrown Film Festival is raising awareness of the existence of the film minor,” said Bland. “Because the minor is only 3 years old, many students are still not aware of it and the opportunities it provides to learn about filmmaking and honing their craft.”