Taste the sensation of a new fad

%28Morgan+Andrews%29
(Morgan Andrews)

Taste yogurt bar, located on Lawndale Drive, is a recent sensation. Bright colors, mouth-watering smells, indoor and outdoor seating, frozen yogurt, toppings and so much more contribute to this mastermind of a business.

Opening in late September 2010, Taste is not a franchise but a concept imagined by owners, Dottie Cooke and Erin Upson Cuevas. This mother-daughter team started something energetic, heart-warming and innovative for food businesses all around the world.

The door opens and springing to life is bright orange, cherry red and teal wall décor. I find myself testing the new frozen yogurt flavors for the week as well as sneaking a peek over at the fresh fruit bar. Greensboro has a handful of frozen yogurt places, but Taste is number one.

“We had been talking about starting some sort of business together,” Erin Upson Cuevas said in an email interview. “At the time I lived in Los Angeles, CA. Self-serve yogurt shops had become a big hit in California over the last few years, and at the time there were not any in North Carolina.”

“We believed that this would be an amazing new business to bring to North Carolina, something that was affordable yet fun as well as being a healthy and delicious treat,” Cuevas said.

Taste stands out among the other local competitors due to their wide variety of flavors and toppings. Just a handful of the flavors consist of: California tart, cheesecake, honeydew, cookies and cream, chocolate mint, strawberry sensations, mango sorbet and mountain blackberry.

“Our most popular flavors are chocolate, cookies and cream, and white chocolate mousse,” Cuevas said. “Close runners up are vanilla, strawberry sensations and California tart.”

If the flavors are not enough, there are 60 toppings to choose from to make your frozen yogurt experience a tasty extreme. Tantalizing toppings range from fresh fruit such as: cantaloupe, grapes, strawberries, oranges, peaches or mango. Just a few of the dry toppings are: kit kat, teddy grahams, nilla wafers, mochi, cheesecake bites and frosted animal cookies.

There is something for everyone at the tastefully done frozen yogurt bar. People young and old can indulge their senses by watching television, chatting outside or writing on the chalk wall.

“The chalk wall was something that we really wanted to do to set our yogurt store apart from others,” said Cuevas. “We thought it would add to the idea that coming to Taste can be a place to come for entertainment and fun as well as good yogurt.”

Test out Taste with a friend, family member, or partner and you will find sweet satisfaction in your cup of frozen yogurt. Also, in the back of the bar there is a party room that would be fun for all ages.

“A great space for birthday parties, club meetings, nonprofit or church groups, etc., is our party room in the back,” said Cuevas. “It is equipped with a television, a DVD player hanging on the wall and there is one wall that is a chalk board.”

Normally I would have to jump from grocery store isle to the next in order to filter my sweet tooth, but now that I have found Taste nothing can compare to the inviting atmosphere or creative flavors and toppings that adorn the two sections of the bar.

My personal favorite at Taste is cookies and cream yogurt and strawberry sensations. Then I add: captain crunch, waffle cone pieces, one gummy worm, cheesecake bites and graham cracker shavings to top it all off. What will your favorite be?