Campus alternatives to intramural sports

%28Peach+McCarty%29
(Peach McCarty)

Guilford College is an incredibly active campus. We have many sports, from swimming and lacrosse, to track and field. The campus is made for physical activity—from the woods behind campus to the fields around it. Our campus gears us towards activity.

It should come as no surprise that many students have activities they do on campus in their free time such as competitive games that can function without a set team and a rigorous training schedule. From zumba to video games, Guilford students have a wide variety of games they employ to keep themselves busy in their free time.

Some of the most popular low-key team games are kickball, pick-up basketball, and intramural volleyball.

“Sunday afternoons we play kickball on the rugby field,” said sophomore Sarah Barnett. “Usually around 10 people attend … it’s not really that athletic, but it’s a lot of fun and it’s nice to go out and work out some energy.”

The basketball court next to the Ragan-Brown Field House and P.E. Center also see a lot of activity.

“Me and my friends play pick-up basketball a lot. We just go and play whoever is already on the court. Also, video games — I like the basketball games,” said sophomore Will Parshley.

“Intramural volleyball happens on Monday nights,” said junior Meagan Walton. “It’s competitive but also very fun.”

Guilford students take advantage of the woods and fields surrounding Guilford. The pond is a popular hangout spot.

“While I love to play video games like ‘Resident Evil’ and ‘Mario Kart,’ I love to walk through the woods, especially now, in the spring,” said sophomore Ivy Baharain.

Kite-flying and Frisbee-throwing are also commonplace sights, especially by the lake.

“I love kites,” said first-year Markus MacNamara. “I really enjoy the outdoors as well as fishing and hiking.”

“I love walking in the woods and tossing a Frisbee around, even though I’m not on the Frisbee team. I also play cornhole with friends. I love cornhole,” said sophomore Brent Ring.