Broadcaster Patrick Childs tells it like it is

(Cloud Gamble )

When a sports fan goes out to support their favorite team, there is a myriad of things that make the experience an enjoyable, and sometimes unforgettable, outing.

As athletes play their hardest to win, there is a personality that rings out from the public-address speakers, providing the needed information of player names, stats, and, most importantly, the score.

Many public-address announcers become a staple of a team as fans become as knowledgeable about the voice as they do their team. The Guilford College Sports Network has its own version of the great voice in Patrick Childs ’10.

Childs began his broadcast career just over two years ago when he approached Coordinator of Sports Marketing Bryan Jones to ask about public-address announcer openings that were available.

“I’ve always loved sports, and I love talking about them,” said Childs. “So, I thought ‘why not?'”

Simply embodying the love for sports is one aspect of the position, just as throwing the ball is but one aspect of playing quarterback.

Childs discovered that he had to perfect his skill as he journeyed through his burgeoning career.

Since the days of Howard Cosell, Don Meredith, and the great Harry Caray, fans have marveled at announcers and their ability to become an extension of the players and the game as it unfolds.

It’s no easy feat, as announcers work tirelessly to hone their talent so that fans enjoy what they do.

“I’ve been a broadcaster for well over 150 games, including men’s and women’s soccer, lacrosse and basketball, baseball and softball,” Childs said. “College fan bases are compact and emotional. They still play their sport for fun, not for money or ‘stardom,’ which is the same reason why I broadcast.”

Being a past member of the Guilford men’s soccer and tennis teams, Childs understands what it takes to get to know the players and how to relate to them.

Broadcasters have to remain on the cutting edge when it comes to the culture that is popular with athletes and how to incorporate that into their commentary, all while including the fans that may be somewhat older and less-familiar with the references.

Catering to such an intimate fan-base also affords Childs the luxury of getting to know his community of fans.

“I’m a very emotional person,” Childs said. “I feel like listeners can relate to my emotional style because they, too, are fans. That passion has built a fan-base that spans not only locally, but also back to the hometowns of Guilford alumni across the nation.”

“Quaker Nation is my name for the Guilford fan base,” Childs said. “I ask my listeners to text or email me their names and where they are from so that everyone can know where fans, friends and family are listening from.”

His attention to detail has helped Childs to rise head-and-shoulders above his competition. He manages this expertise by preparing and giving the fans more than they bargained for.

The public-address announcer is a position that requires skill, intelligence, and an individual flair that has to be second to none. A good announcer wins fan over by being honest in their broadcasting, with a certain “je ne sais quoi” that makes them unique.

Words are powerful and the voice of a game can remain with players and fans long after completion of the game, as it guides them through the highs and lows of every play.

As Childs said, “I like to dig deep into my voice in order to create excitement for each player. Plus, there is nothing better than hearing my own voice echo through Ragan-Brown Field House.”