Community protests phallocentric interpretation of new sculpture

%28%29
()

Affectionately nicknamed the “phallus palace,” the new stickwork sculpture on the quad has garnered attention for its distinctive shape. 

“It’s really cool,” said one student, observing the sculpture. “But it’s hard to deny that it looks like a bunch of dicks sprouting out of the ground.” 

The sentiment appears to be widely shared. Students from Community Aids Awareness Project have seized the opportunity to install giant condoms on the sculpture, as a way of raising awareness about safe sex practices. Others, however, are protesting the phallocentric interpretation of the sculpture.

“It really bothers me that we always assume something looks like a penis just because it’s long and pointy,” said junior Hannah Snow, who is heading up a protest of the sculpture’s new nickname. “I think this interpretation is a manifestation of our androcentric society and has nothing to do with the sculpture itself. It’s immature and sexist to assume that it (the sculpture) looks like a bunch of dicks.” 

Sophomore Mandy Croft agrees. She pointed out that there was a much more feminine way to view the sculpture.

“The curving shapes at the top actually look like breasts if you think about it, and the openings are like the mysterious, dark entry into the vagina,” said Croft. “When I walk inside, I feel like I’m being enclosed by a giant stickwork womb.” 

While students may never agree about how to interpret the massive sculpture, the rancor of the debate is thankfully softened by the general agreement that the sculpture has provided an excellent new location to smoke a joint.