Guilford’s top 16 teams # 2: 1981 women’s tennis

This week we are closing in on the number one team on the countdown. Before we get there, let’s take a look at the number two team: the 1981 women’s tennis team: Shirley Dunn ’81. Sue Ireton ’81. Leesa Shapiro ’82. Kerry Kennedy ’82. Lili Carpenter ’83. Tammy Strickland ’84.

This was head coach Gayle Currie’s dominant lineup for the 1981 tennis season. At the close of the season, four Quakers brought home All-American honors — Dunn, Shapiro, Ireton, and Kennedy. Also, first-year Strickland earned honorable mention All-American.

The tennis team also won the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics Championship.

The team gained momentum from beating its arch rival, High Point, for the District 26 title. With the win, the Quakers were poised to make a stand at the NAIA championships. However, Currie was just focused on how well the team performed under pressure.

“I’m just as proud as I can be with the girls,” said Currie. “When it came down to the tiebreakers, we maintained our poise and handled pressure very well. It was a matter of who would gut it out in the end and I couldn’t be prouder with our performance.”

During the championships, Dunn was dominant by claiming the singles title and doubles title with Shapiro at the tournament. Strickland stepped in and won a big match for the Quakers in a tiebreaker in the third set. Guilford won the tournament with 19 points and Currie was named District 26 Coach of the Year.

At the NAIA National Tennis Championships, the Quakers continued their dominance.

By the end of the quarterfinals, all of Guilford’s players had been ousted except Dunn and Shapiro, but the team had accumulated 27 points. This feat was enough to finish no lower than a tie for first place in the tournament.

The big question entering the tournament for Guilford was how it was going to fare against teams from 25 different states and some international teams. However, it wasn’t hard to see that the Quakers were going to finish strong.

All of Guilford’s singles players made it through the first round of three, picking up a lot of points. Then Dunn, Shapiro, Kennedy, and Ireton advanced through the quarterfinals. They got three through the third round until Dunn and Shapiro lost in the semifinals.

This effort would be enough to share the National Title with Grand Canyon College.

“They were so thrilled that a banner proclaiming a national championship in women’s sports can take its place in the field house. What a way for our seniors, Sue and Shirley, to go out!” said Currie.

Currie also went out of the 1981 tennis season with a bang. She was named co-NAIA National Coach of the Year with Grand Canyon’s coach.