Winter sports conclude memorable season

This time of year calls for sports to be played outdoors. The weather is warm, the sun is out, and the grass is green. But what happened to Guilford’s indoor sports? Basketball, swimming, and indoor track seasons are all over. Here is a recap, in case you missed out on the winter sports.

Men’s and Women’s Track and Field

The most recent season to conclude was indoor track and field. The Old Dominion Athletic Conference Championships were held at Lynchburg College on Feb. 25. At the close of the championships, the men claimed fourth place and the women took sixth.

On the men’s side, the team won two individual titles and made six new school records.

Standout first-year, Johnathan Smith, sprinted to the 55 meter title with a time of 6.51 seconds in the final race. Smith was not done yet. He finished second in the 200 meter sprint with his time of 23.04 seconds. This warranted Smith a Second Team All-ODAC recognition.

The Quakers dominated the long-distance races. Derick Kosgei and Chad Norton claimed first and second place, respectively, to win the 5,000 meter race. Kosgei also earned Second Team All-ODAC honors because of his additional efforts in the distance relay team that set a school record with its second-place time of 10:43.68.

The women recorded two school records of their own, while placing sixth out of the seven teams competing.

First-year Taylor Stokes placed second in the 5,000 meter race with her school record time of 18:40.61. This performance received Second Team All-ODAC honors. Another first-year, Malikah French leaped 4’11.75″ for a school record in the high jump. The leap earned French fourth place in the event.

Women’s Swimming

The Quakers finished the season with only two wins but had two third-place finishes and one fourth- place finish. The main goal for the team was not winning, but improving over the course of the season. The team accomplished that feat.

At the ODAC championships the Quakers finished with 144 points and finished sixth out of seven teams. Some would say that this would be a disappointment, but not for the Quakers. This meet saw their highest point total of the season.

Senior co-captain Daphne Murphy sliced through her best mile time by 28 seconds and beat her 500m time by 7 seconds, which is significant for swimmers. Senior Sara Waitsman also placed 14th in the 100m with a time of 1:19:28, a personal best.

Other swimmers had career performances as well. Senior Kim Abbott and sophomore Dozier ‘13 broke their best times in their individual events and attained best times of the season. The top-notch performances came from the 200m relay team and the 800 freestyle relay team. They both finished in seventh place.

Men’s and Women’s Basketball

The men’s basketball team had another successful season in 2011. The team had 16 total wins and 10 conference wins.

The team was inconsistent, winning games in spurts. The best winning streak was four games, all against conference foes. Also, The Quakers played well against ranked opponents. They defeated Virginia Wesleyan when they were previously undefeated and held the number-one ranking in the ODAC.

The Quakers had four sophomores and two first-years play in at least 13 games this season. Sophomore Josh Pittman had a career year this season. He shot 83 percent from the free-throw line, was second on the team in assists and steals, and led the team in points per game with 18.1. These stats earned Pittman First Team All-ODAC honors.

Even though the team lost in the ODAC tournament quarterfinals to Randolph, this can still be seen as a quality season for the Quakers.

The women also had a successful 2011 campaign. They concluded the season with 15 wins and 10 conference wins. This great finish was the best since the 2004.

The women also have a very young talented team. The lone senior on the team was Lauren LeFevers who averaged just under 10 points per game. The Quakers had four first-years rotating in the starting lineup and played in every game during the regular season.

The two stand-out first-years were forward Gabby Oglesby and center Morgan King. Oddly enough their stats are almost identical. They both averaged 11.3 points per game which ties them for second on the team and both averaged just under eight rebounds per game. In addition, Oglesby broke Guilford’s single-season blocks record with 59 on the year.

The go-to player on the team was junior Jazlyn Gibbs who led the team in minutes played. She was third on the team in assists with 59 and led the team in steals (39) and points per game (14.8).

In the ODAC tournament Guilford was seeded seventh out of eight teams. In their first game, they stunned second seeded Bridgewater by beating them in the quarter finals 67-66. They lost the semifinal game against Roanoke in their next game 67-58. However, this was the best season the Quakers had since 2004.