Mat Hennick brings talent, dedication to golf team

%28Kacey+Minnick%29
(Kacey Minnick)

The mention of golf may make you picture kilt-clad Scotsmen, red hair bright against the heather of the moors. It may make you picture Tiger Woods crashing his car, entering therapy for sex addiction, or offering a public apology for cheating on his wife. And if you pay any attention to Quaker golf, you may picture Mat Hennick.

A native of Seattle, Wash., Hennick started playing golf as a way to spend time with his grandfather. He played competitively at Inglemoor High School in Seattle, where he lettered all four years.

“I took four years off after high school,” said Hennick. “I just took time off and worked and tried to figure out what I wanted to do with my life, and then I realized that I needed to go back to school.”

Hennick spent a year at Comosin College in Victoria, British Columbia. There, he played golf and started studying business management. After his time in Victoria, Hennick spent a year at Skagit Valley College in Seattle. While at Skagit Valley, Hennick had two career wins and three top-10 finishes.

Hennick started looking at different schools after that year, and ended up in North Carolina.

“I had a scholarship at Elon,” said Hennick. “But since I’m older, the NCAA wouldn’t let me play division one. The coach at Elon told (Guilford’s Athletic Director Tom) Palombo that I was looking to play somewhere, and Palombo was the one who called me and said, hey, we need another guy on our team.”

According to head golf coach Corey Maggard in an e-mail interview, the experience Hennick brings to Guilford is an asset to the golf team.

In the fall 2010-11 golf season, Hennick posted a 72.50 stroke average, ranking second both on Guilford’s team and in the ODAC, just below teammate Noah Ratner’s stroke average of 72.33.

“Golf is different from other sports,” said Hennick. “Some days you can beat everybody; some days you can lose against everybody. It’s not really us against people. It’s just like we’re trying to play against the course.”

Hennick’s non-competitive nature is reflected by his interactions with his teammates.

“Mat is a great teammate and you can always count on him to do his thing on the golf course,” said Ratner in an e-mail interview. “He is a good leader, and he’s a great friend who you know will always be there for you.”

With a major in business management, a high ranking on the Guilford golf team, and a job at the campus bookstore, Hennick seems poised for success. Nevertheless, he’s unsure exactly what he wants to do after graduating.

“I want to try and play golf professionally,” said Hennick. “But at the same time, I need to try to get a real job.”

According to bookstore manager Karen Swindells, Hennick’s supervisor at work, Hennick should have no trouble finding a job after Guilford.

“Mat’s a great guy,” said Swindells. “He’s responsible and hardworking, and a great employee.”

Maggard agrees with Swindells on this point.

“I would love to have an entire roster with guys willing to work at winning like Mat does,” said Maggard. “His work ethic is very good and as he continues to gain mental toughness, he is going to have a great chance to play professional golf after he leaves Guilford.”

“I know Mat could be a great pro,” said Ratner. “Getting out there is the hardest part. If he can make it, I believe he could do great things as a pro.”