Localvore Living in the Triad

“Spending money is like voting,” said Bob Williams, professor of economics.

Just like checking a box for the best candidate, spending your cash is becoming more of a civic responsibility than ever before. Inspired by the likes of Michael Pollan’s “Omnivore’s Dilemma” or Barbara Kingsolver’s “Animal, Vegetable, Miracle,” people all over the nation are looking for ways to buy fresh food from local farmers and keep their spending power in the immediate community. Since the American economy has plummeted so radically in the past two years, consumers are opting to buy locally-made products that will keep jobs in the country.

Of course, there are critics who dispute the logic or statistics of buying locally. Some cite localvore as the next foodie fad; others debate the cost of shipping furniture from China as more economically friendly for creating free trade opportunities.

Stephen Budiansky, editorial contributor to The New York Times, said, “The local food movement now threatens to devolve into another one of those self-indulgent — and self-defeating — do-gooder dogmas.”

“Buying local does make a difference,” Williams said. “In economics, we use a spending multiplier that proves buying food at farmers markets or buying from a locally owned store filters twice as much money back into the local economy.”

Buying local remains a choice in today’s modern marketplace. Big box, corporate-owned stores like Wal-Mart and Target will remain chock full of every item you need today and those you may want tomorrow. Visiting local merchants and farmer’s markets reminds you of a time before “buy-it-now” advertising. Need more reasons to spend your money locally?

10 — Local businesses reinvest their money back into the community.

9 — Local businesses offer unique products, often made locally, that are not available for mass marketing.

8 — Local retail stores preserve a cultural heritage by allowing craftsman to sell what their ancestors taught them to make.

7 — Reduce your carbon footprint because local produce requires less packaging, fewer preservatives and less transportation to reach your plate.

6 — Local stores employ local people, providing career diversity in small communities.

5 — Local food requires minimal processing and maintains more nutritional value because it can be picked at the peak of ripeness.

4 — Local merchants offer quality products that are handcrafted and longer-lasting, saving money on costly or frequent replacements.

3 — Local food and products travel less, reducing food miles and saving fossil fuel.

2 –– Local merchants provide personalized service from people who care and take pride in what they make and/or sell.

1 –– Communities take pride in what they make, grow and sell. This improves the spirit and integrity of the people in the community.

Where do you start?

“Where you find yourself, look for locally owned stores, restaurants and farm stands,” said Williams. “Start by becoming aware of where you are shopping and look the local alternative.”

Anyone can buy a gallon of decent milk. But there is admittedly something special about the taste of the Homeland Creamery milk, poured over the Malt-O-Meal cereal in the Seagrove pottery bowl — all from right down the road.

Look for the “Localvore Living in the Triad” weekly article on www.Guilfordian.com for more information on where to shop and what to buy in the Triad. This weekly journal will include information on products that are made in our area and the merchants who sell them. If you have a local favorite you would like to see included, email [email protected] with details.