Swim team prepares for conference championships

The ladies of Guilford’s swimming team lined up behind the starting blocks, waiting for their turn to practice their starts.

Coached by Steve Kaczmarek and Assistant Coach Emily Lapinski, the Jan. 22 meet saw Guilford swimming against home team Hollins University and Emory and Henry College at the Old Dominion Athletic Conference match.

The Quakers trounced Emory and Henry by 47 points with a final score of 75-28, giving Guilford an important win. At the end of the conference meet, Hollins, who hosted, outscored both its competitors for the overall win, beating Guilford 81-39 and Emory and Henry 100-18.

Many members of Guilford’s swim team placed in the top three in different events. Those who placed first, second, or third in each event included first-year Kendra Medina, who placed second at the 100-meter backstroke, second at the 200-meter backstroke, and first in the 400-meter freestyle relay.

Sophomore Becca Dozier placed second in the 200-meter freestyle, third in the 500-meter freestyle, and 1st in the 400-meter freestyle relay.

Junior Kelcey Johnson came in third place in the 100-meter breaststroke and third in the 200-meter breaststroke.

Junior Rebecca Bacon came in second in the 100-meter butterfly, third in the 200-meter butterfly, and second in the 200-meter individual medley.

Senior Daphne Murphy came in third in the 50-meter freestyle, first in the 500-meter freestyle, and first in the 400-meter freestyle relay. Senior Kim Abbott placed third in the 200-meter backstroke and first in the 400-meter freestyle relay.

Guilford placed first in the 400-meter relay race. The relay incorporates four different strokes, one for each girl and includes the freestyle, backstroke, butterfly, and breaststroke.

“Taking what we learned in practice and seeing it applied in the meet … that’s what’s important, said Kaczmarek. “Gabi (sophomore Gabrielle Lahovitch) improved her time from 1:37 to 1:26 (in the 100-meter freestyle), and that’s what it’s all about.”

Swimming is mostly an individual sport, with the exception of relay races.

“Everyone cheers for everybody as a team for the individual,” said Kaczmarek.

“They were all really friendly and welcoming,” said sophomore Paula Skandis, who joined the team in October. “The team captains, Daphne Murphy and Sara Waitsman, were really encouraging, and the 7:30 a.m. practice wakes you up and gets you ready for the day.”

One of the main issues that plagued the swimming team is membership.

“In the first meeting of the season, we had fifteen to sixteen girls committed,” Kaczmarek said. “Now we’re down to eleven or twelve. To those girls who say they can’t join because of schoolwork, that’s not an issue. We understand. Studies come first, sports second.”

Guilford’s swim team has one more meet left at Greensboro College on Jan 29 before the ODAC Championships on the second weekend of February.

“I’ve been doing this for four years,” Lapinski said. “It’s about watching the individual improvements, seeing them improve in the strokes and time.”

“For me, it’s not about winning; it’s about them enjoying it,” Kaczmarek said.