A nine-year-old’s dream lives on

%28%29
()

The headline reads, “Arizona shooting: 6 dead; including a nine-year-old girl.”

The media these days is full of nothing but tragic stories where only sympathy can go out to the loved ones of the fallen. America is only hearing about horrific events such as the shooting of Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords in Arizona.

The media has grown attached to the youngest victim, Christina Taylor Green, a nine-year-old with big dreams of becoming a politician.

Such a young person with a big dream only brings hope towards a country that has dealt with economic troubles, unemployment, and war in the past few years. Hope towards a country that is looking for a bright spot to help everyone in these troubling times.

People now see through this tragic story that, although the current state of the country is dismal, the future generations have big dreams and the possibility of a bright future ahead of them. Compassionate children who want to help people will one day stand tall as the Speaker of the House, Senators, CEOs, or even in front of a classroom teaching the following generation.

Nonetheless, the coverage of this story is only slightly warranted.

Perhaps the story helps the parents deal with the loss of their child. Maybe they are now able to see how, even though she may be gone, her ambition to become a politician lives on as it motivates others across the country, and possibly even the world, to go after their dreams.

Parents dream for their child to become well-educated and to succeed in their endeavors. To have a child’s life cut short takes away the parents’ ability to see their influence and how the accomplishments of their child could have changed the world.

But as we have seen, the parents of Christina Green have let the media discuss her dreams and wishes of wanting to become a politician, which was the main reason she was at the event where Congresswoman Giffords was shot and others were also killed. The media is projecting her to the world as a sign: that someone somewhere has a dream to change the world and that they will succeed.

Perhaps it isn’t today, and maybe it isn’t tomorrow, but there is always someone out there with a dream, and they will achieve it.

Christina’s dream was cut short by a terrible tragedy, and no one can change that now. However, what the media can do to help her family and loved ones is to spread the message of her dreams.

That’s what the media should be doing — showing the world motivational stories that encourage others to follow their dreams. Even if people read the stories from the media and go on without thinking about it, there is someone out there who will read the article and be touched enough to go after their dreams and make a difference.

A little girl shouldn’t have to die for people to remember to be hopeful.