Men’s basketball enjoys winter winning streak, women go 1-2

%28%29
()

After a 74-60 loss to Maryville University on Dec. 18, the Guilford College men’s team (10-6 overall, 4-3 Old Dominion Athletic Conference) stormed to a four-game winning streak over winter break. Meanwhile, the Lady Quakers (8-6 overall, 4-4 ODAC) went 1-2 over the break. On Jan. 4, they stomped Hollins College 81-64.

The victories began for the men’s team with an 88-73 win over Manchester College on Dec. 29, where the team shot 50 percent from the field. The point total was the highest of the season for the Quakers.

Sophomore Josh Pittman scored a season-high 34 points among all Quakers. He made eight 3-pointers and was a perfect 6-6 from the foul line.

Junior Tobi Akinsola led the team in rebounds with nine and scored 16 points. Senior TC Anderson contributed four steals, seven rebounds and five points.

Pittman led the team in scoring again with 21 points on the way to a 61-57 victory over St. Mary’s College on Jan. 3. He added three assists, three rebounds and a steal. Akinsola also had nine rebounds, 15 points and a blocked shot.

On Jan. 5, the Quakers thumped Emory & Henry College 70-54. Pittman had 23 points, six rebounds and three steals. Akinsola had 15 points and four rebounds.

Next, the Quakers were victorious over Lynchburg College 69-54 on Jan. 8. Senior Martin Stephenson’s 19 points on 9 of 10 shooting from the field led the team. Travis Tracy and Akinsola had eight rebounds each.

Pittman boosted Guilford over Bridgewater College 68-43 on Jan. 12 with 28 points, nine rebounds and a steal. He drilled seven 3-pointers.

The Lady Quakers resumed their games on Jan. 4 with a blowout win over Hollins University, headed by lone senior Lauren LeFevers’ 25 points. She went 7-11 from behind the 3-point line, grabbed two steals, and four rebounds.

“We’re very young,” women’s head coach Stephanie Flamini said. “We have five freshmen playing, two sophomores, a junior and a senior. We are doing very well for the fact that we are so young. We are in seventh place, but it is very close. A few wins and we can be in fourth or fifth place.”

First-year Morgan King led Guilford in rebounding against Hollins with 13. She scored 14 points and was 6 for 6 in free throws.

Against Hollins, first-year Gabby Oglesby had five blocked shots, five points and five rebounds.

Guilford traveled to Ashland, Va., on Jan. 7 to square off with Randolph-Macon College. The Quakers fell 70-62, despite 17 points each from Junior Jazlyn Gibbs and King. King also pulled down eight rebounds.

On Jan. 8, Guilford fell to Virginia Wesleyan College 74-66. First-year Kayla Adams led the Lady Quakers with 16 points.

The women’s team bounced back after two losses to defeat Randolph-Macon on Jan. 11, when classes were canceled for snow.

Oglesby led the team with 14 points in the win and King snagged nine rebounds and four steals. She also scored 12 points. Guilford won in double overtime over Eastern Mennonite University on Jan. 15 94-86. Oglesby led the Quakers with 22 points and 13 rebounds.