Two-sport King brings talents on and off the court

%28%29
()

It is time to put away the cleats, hang up the pads and make way for March Madness and college basketball. For football players, the athletic season is over. For some, it could not have come sooner after a disappointing, winless season. 

“Not winning a game sounds bad, but it was a season for improvement and we all grew from it,” said junior wide receiver Ben King. 

This response would be nothing new for his teammates and coaches, who consistently describe King as a dedicated player.

“I never heard him complain or blame anyone for our team struggles,” said senior linebacker David LaPlaca. “He just kept playing.”

His effort was never questioned by his wide receivers coach either. 

“It is a pleasure to coach Ben,” said wide receivers coach Christopher Barnette. “Everything I ask of him, he gives me 100 percent.” 

While King is dedicated, he is also a team player. I asked him what his strengths as a player are; he replied it was his ability to make plays for his teammates. 

“My teammates made this season a really good experience,” King added. 

Fellow wide receiver Tyler Hasty agrees that King made his experience better. 

“It was really fun playing with him. He picks everyone up and pushes others to do better,” Hasty said.”Ben came to play every day. He battled through injuries and always gave his all. This made him and the team much better.”

Off the field, Ben is a different person. Barnette and Hasty describe him as a “jokester” who keeps the team loose. LaPlaca knows this all too well. 

“We are in the same business class this semester and he tells jokes in class that the teacher cannot even resist to laugh at,” said LaPlaca.

People may not know that Ben is a fun and easygoing guy because people only see him on the football field. 

During the interview, he mentioned that his favorite National League Football (NFL) team was the Dallas Cowboys. I then explained that I was a Philadelphia Eagles fan. Naturally, we had a friendly argument for 10 minutes because the two teams are division rivals. This was his positive demeanor shining through. 

King also does other activities to get away from football as well. Currently, he is on the Quakers’ basketball junior varsity roster and getting playing time. 

“He’s a terrific athlete,” said Hasty. “He’ll come in and work hard and learn his assignments and make a positive contribution to the team.”

To get away from sports entirely, he likes to jam on the guitar.

“I only started a few months ago, but I really enjoy playing,” King said. “Sometimes I just strum for a few hours. It helps me clear my head.” 

On game day, however, route running and blocking down field are what clears his head. LaPlaca and Hasty agree that he is an unselfish player, only wanting success for the team.

“I would guarantee that if Ben had the chance to trade in his statistics and honors this year for a conference championship he would do that in an instant,” said LaPlaca. 

“Awards don’t matter to him,” Hasty added. “He never complained when the ball didn’t come his way.” 

King has really enjoyed this past season and found it a positive experience, despite the team’s record. 

“I really enjoy it here,” King stated. “I wouldn’t trade it in for anything.”