Finals: how to keep a healthy attitude

%28Cloud+Gamble%29
(Cloud Gamble)

With final exams bearing down on students, it can be difficult to find relief amid the ever-piling stress. Late nights and early mornings are reserved for cramming and rest can be found in some unexpected places. So this semester, why not try a few of these study break tips to relax between tests?

1. Take a walk (In the snow!)

Nothing takes your mind off of the looming pressure of final grades more than just walking away from your study area. By stepping out during a particularly frustrating cramming session, you might find that everything is all just a little simpler than you remember. Physically and psychologically, a brisk walk is the best thing for reenergizing yourself. Let the cold winter air be the confidence booster you need.

2. Listen to new music (Or rediscover old favorites)

One of the quickest ways to unwind is always put on just the right song and let it carry you far, far away. But sometimes when the stress is too overbearing, songs you have heard before can just drift off without you. Take this 15-minute opportunity to open up a new Pandora playlist or listen to an album that has gotten you through tough times in the past. Whether it is something new to take the edge off or something old to calm your shattered nerves, music might be just what you are looking for.

3. Talk to friends

No, not on Facebook. That will only exasperate your procrastination. Meet up for a meal with some good friends who are in the same situation. Misery loves company, so use this as a chance to vent with friends. Listen to their difficulties and share your own — just make sure you set a time limit.

4. Indulge in a healthy snack

Eating out of boredom is never a good habit to pick up, but studying the way so many students at Guilford do requires a lot of energy. Picking up some fruit, yogurt or granola will revitalize your mind and help you focus when you return. A little bit of brain food will allow you to keep up your frenzied pace. During a refreshing snack break, try to pull back from that paper and see how you feel about it so far.

5. Pick up a brain teaser

Is that last question on your take-home exam too difficult to face right now? Maybe all you really need is to look at it from a new angle. Look up a quick puzzle and take a fun break that exercises your mind while still helping you cope with your stress. Brain teasers will make sure that your critical thinking and problem solving skills stay sharp, even after days of overuse.

It may seem counterintuitive, but in moderation, procrastination can actually be a very useful tool. Overworking yourself is unhealthy and can lead to much more stress than you can handle. This year, just take finals one step at a time and remember to pace yourselves.