Child’s play in professional football

(David J. Phillip (Associated Press))
(David J. Phillip (Associated Press))

Grow up. 

This is my message to Cortland Finnegan and Andre Johnson.

On Sunday, Nov. 28, I witnessed one of the most disgraceful acts that I believe has ever taken place on a football field. I watched in awe as two grown men had a physical confrontation that eventually led to helmets being ripped off and punches thrown.

The Tennessee Titans were facing the Houston Texans, and in the fourth quarter the Texans were winning 20-0. Time was winding down and the Texans were taking control of all aspects of the game.

The game was unsalvageable, but a personal battle still remained. Cortland Finnegan and Andre Johnson have a rift of issues dating back to aggressive play that occurred last year, and on this day their tempers climaxed into violence.

On third and eight, cornerback Finnegan lined up across the line from wide receiver Johnson, and at the snap of the ball Finnegan jabbed viciously at Johnson’s throat. Johnson then proceeded to rip Finnegan’s helmet off, and Finnegan responded by doing the same. After the helmets were off, Johnson tossed Finnegan to the ground like a rag doll and punched him twice in the head.

A bench-clearing brawl followed soon after this and both players were penalized and ejected from the game. Both players received slaps on the wrist from the NFL office and walked away with a $25,000 fine.

What Finnegan and Johnson did was completely unprofessional and disrespectful. Football is an extremely aggressive sport that, at times, feels chaotic. These are grown men at the peak of their athletic career and they play in the NFL for a reason: they are bigger, faster and stronger than your average person.

For these reasons I can understand accidents happening; Injuries will occur and players will commit penalties in the heat of the action. However, what Johnson and Finnegan did is not justifiable.

Growing up I was told to let my pads do the talking, but these players let their fists do that. They looked like MMA fighters out on the football field. It was like an old school backyard brawl, and when you play in the NFL that is not acceptable. 

These men are being paid millions of dollars to be professional athletes, and part of that job involves proper behavior, on and off the field. At all times a professional athlete should be conducting himself AS a professional. I don’t think that is a hard thing to do, considering how much money they are making.

Football players make millions of dollars, and on every sports channel I hear that the game is now more of a business than a sport. Many professional athletes have one thing on their mind — money. In 2010 Johnson will be making over $5 million while Finnegan will be earning a respectable $4 million.

I have no problem with this, but if you are going to ask for big signing deals then we fans will expect better behavior. You are representing your team, your fans, your community and most importantly, yourself. In no other job outside of sports would someone get away with just a slap on the wrist after getting in a fist-fight with a co-worker or competitor.

Players act as if they are bigger than the game, the team, and the organization. They need to take a step back and realize the responsibility they hold. They are living the life that millions have dreamed for, and it is vital that they hold themselves to a higher standard.

Although athletes may not want to be role models they are by default.

It is time to accept reality and earn the money you get paid with your ability and actions.