Harry Potter has its last go around

It was the beginning of the end.

After seven books and accompanying films, the Harry Potter series is finally coming to a close. At midnight, Nov. 18, the first part of “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows” was shown in theaters. Guilford College’s Yachting Club purchased over 100 tickets for Guilford students to enjoy opening night.

“This night is really exciting for me,” said sophmore Adrienne Mattson-Perdue, who helped organize the event. “This is the accumulation of two months of hard work and it’s awesome.”

This build-up of excitement is nothing new, though.

In 1997, J.K. Rowling released “Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone,” the first book of the Harry Potter series. From that point on many were mesmerized with the tales of Harry Potter.

“I was immediately hooked on Harry Potter, which was saying something as I absolutely hated reading,” said junior Skylar Larsen. “I suppose it was the world that Rowling spun on those pages.”

These books, once a childhood fascination, have now become a story with true importance and symbolism. The popularity of the series has risen and now Harry Potter lives through readers and viewers throughout the world.

“I think it is really popular throughout the world because it is different than any other story and it is just something that almost anyone could fall in love with,” said first-year Casey Costa. “The characters are really well-developed and the story is just wonderful”

“As the movies continue, the plot of the story just gets more and more interesting,” said first-year Austen West.

Thursday night was the climax of a year’s worth of anticipation. Friends gathered together for one of the second-to-last film installment of the story they grew up with.

“It was really nice to go to the midnight showing and know so many people in the theater,” said senior Amy Cutler. “Guilford took over the theater that night. It made it so much more fun.”

As the Yachting Club arrived at the theatre on the bus, the line outside the theater twisted through the sidewalk like a snake. Enthusiasts dressed up as wizards and goblins filled the theater.

“We just got to the movie theater and got our tickets and then tried to find a seat,” said Costa. “There were a lot of people dressed up in capes and outfits.”

The movie theatre was filled with intense and exciting moments. Emotional heights ranged from subtle crying to comical laughter as the movie progressed. The audience even cheered during the climax.

As the movie ended, the audience stood up and stretched their arms out wide after almost three hours of wizardly adventure. The long wait had finally ended and now only one part remains in the series. This last installment of “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows” will be released in the summer of 2011.

“I thought that the movie was really good,” said Cutler. “Things are getting darker but they’re also getting funnier. I’m liking the mix.”

Harry Potter has captured the love and support of millions, and this fascination will never be lost for most.

“It’s the beginning of the end of a new era,” said Mattson-Perdue.