Decided 2010: election results for Guilford County

Election night in Guilford County was a victory night for almost all incumbents. Excluding city-level offices outside of Greensboro, all incumbents facing a challenger won re-election but one.

However, this was not the case across the state. Republicans will have a majority in both the N.C. Senate and N.C. House of Representatives. The GOP has not held the House since the 1990s, and has not held the Senate since the 1800s.

One of the biggest trends among winning candidates is a professed focus on education. This is in line with Governor Bev Perdue’s focus. Perdue had a recent campaign of visiting schools to get advice from students and teachers.

An emphasis on promoting small business is also a shared trait among most of the winning state-level candidates. Site Selection magazine named North Carolina the state with the best business climate for the ninth time in 10 years, and such trends can be expected to continue with the incoming legislature.

However, how the power dynamic between the Republican congress and the Democratic governor will work is difficult to predict. While in many cases goals and areas of emphasis align between the two, increased partisanship is a likely obstacle for the N.C. government.

To the right are the election results for Guilford County, including national and state-level offices. Not included are county-level offices in which candidates ran unopposed, city-level offices outside of Greensboro, and judicial offices. Information about each winner has also been given, along with a website if one is available. Voting records have also been provided via Project Vote Smart where applicable.

For full election results click here.

For important referendum results click here.