Lesson learned: never underestimate a track team

Ready.

Tie running shoes. Select playlist on iPod. Take one last sip of water.

Set.

Stretch. Clear your mind. Set watch to zero.

Go.

Your feet pound the pavement. Legs stretch out. The day’s stresses are left in the dust.

This is the rush that running provides.

For this article, I was assigned the task of attending practice with the Guilford track team. I figured it would be only a slight challenge; something that would keep me on my toes. I run a lot, so I did not think I would have any problems during practices.

I should not have jumped to conclusions.

Running is an easily executable sport. There is minimal gear required — shorts, t-shirt, and a good pair of running shoes will get you through. You place one foot in front of the other at a comfortable pace. You run hills and sprint occasionally; all depending on why you are running.

I love to run. It helps clear my mind and lets me forget about the exams, essays, and applications I have waiting for me at my desk. For a while I would compete with myself, bettering distances and times. As time went on I became more compliant. I stopped competing with myself, and my times were negatively affected and I ran shorter distances. Then the Guilford track team strode into my life.

First day. I arrived in the front of the Alumni Gym with my green running shoes and a timid disposition. I had rarely run with other people, running with a team would be a whole new experience. Once everyone had gathered at four o’clock, we were sent on a warm-up run. It was nothing too strenuous — that was about to change. After the warm-up, we were set up to do eight sets of 400-meter sprints.

I am not a sprinter. I find no enjoyment in sprinting for 400 meters, stopping for 30 seconds, and taking off again.

Afterwards, my legs felt like jelly and my lungs were burning. We set off for a cool-down run. My heart rate was back to normal soon, though my legs were sore.

This much was clear: track practice was going to kick my butt.

Second day. We were instructed to go on a long, easy run. Following the run, we did a few more sprints. After the first set of sprints, my lungs felt like they were on fire. I sat out on the next few, and contemplated sitting out for the rest of the practice.

I could not do that. I am not one who gives up easily. I was not just going to let a few sprints bother me.

By the end of practice, I desperately wanted to rethink my “never back down from a challenge” mindset. My legs were killing me; they had not been pushed this hard in a long time. After my cool-down run all I wanted to do was collapse. I was beyond tired.

These past two practices were not as strenuous as they normally are, due to the fact that the team had a competition in two days. I began to wonder what was wrong with me. Sure, I rarely do sprints, but should they really be creaming me this badly? The night following the second practice, I pondered this question.

Eventually, I reached the conclusion that, recently, I had not been challenging myself. I had become too compliant. Practicing with the track team helped create a challenge that caught and kept my interest.

Despite the inner complaints, I wanted to be able to improve on my sprinting. I wanted to be able to keep up with the best runners.

Third (and last) day. This practice was a longer warm-up and only a few sprints. The team was getting ready for their upcoming competition so a lighter work out was necessary for rest.

I found that after a mere three days, I was already seeing improvement in my sprints.

Walking away from that last practice, I had mixed feelings. I was grateful it was over — I love running, but it is the conditioning that I struggle with. I was also feeling disappointed, I knew I would miss running and training in a group that shared an important interest of mine.

The members of the team did not possess just serious, in-it-to-win-it personalities. They joked around, they laughed, they carried on conversations as they ran.

Even though the players were not always serious, I went into these practices, underestimating the seriousness of a track team practice. I came out with sore muscles, thirst, and a new desire to challenge myself. Track practices are nothing to joke about. They push you hard, and when you think you are about get a chance to rest, they push you harder.

The team taught me a lot, but mostly, I learned to continue to challenge myself. Just because I am running solo, does not give me any excuse to let my times slip and run less.

As we speak, I am turning my computer off, dusting off my timer, and going on a run. Maybe I’ll add some sprints in, on second thought, maybe I will stick to improving my mile time for now.

Sprinting can wait.