The Backstop

Type “David Sills USC Commit” into YouTube and hit “enter.” If you prefer not to listen to the laughable music offered by Fountains of Wayne, you can hit mute. The good part comes when the kid starts throwing the football.

A 13-year-old quarterback from Delaware named David Sills V was recently offered a football scholarship from the University of Southern California (USC). The offer was made after Lane Kiffin, the head coach at USC, saw Sills’ homemade YouTube video.

Kiffin, a controversial coach and recruiter, has had a prolific history of pissing people off. Earlier this year, he left the head coach post at the University of Tennessee at Knoxville after only one season, enraging the entire state of Tennessee. Lately his business has been recruiting young boys for the future of USC football.

The most notable of these boys has been Sills. This young man can undoubtedly throw the football, and accurately too. The real question comes when we consider the boy’s age: he’s only 13! The media is already in a frenzy about young Sills. Some see nothing wrong with his recruitment. Others call it a form of child abuse, saying that Sills’ childhood is being taken from him.

It is difficult for me to judge David’s situation: I was nothing like him at that age. I do know that everyone my age was going through major physical and psychological changes. Pressure from parents, coaches, teachers, and especially other students was something everyone had to manage.

So it is understandable to worry about Sills. Added pressure from the media could have adverse effects on his game as well as his life.

Yet Sills is not participating in the juicy affairs that get most of the media attention. For now, he is just playing football. As long as professional athletes keep “sexting” and bringing guns to practice, Sills will fly clear under the media’s radar and continue to get bigger and better.

ESPN’s Outside the Lines (OTL) episode on Sill’s portrays him as a rigorously confident and determined young man, which if you watch his highlights, you would know to be true. Football is his passion.

“It has always been my dream to play for USC,” Sills said in an ESPN interview.

It is certainly unusual for a 13-year-old to be accepted onto a Division I football team. Kiffin probably knew the media would pick up on this and direct attention to USC football. But at the end of the day, no rules were broken. Sills only made a verbal commitment to USC and he can change his mind at any time.

Recalling my life as a 13-year-old, I would have loved to have something like this to look forward to. Sills, just like everybody else, will have to work long and hard to meet his goals. This agreement, however, means he is one step closer to making his dreams a reality.