Bursting the bubble: A deep look at Deep Roots Market

omar+%28%29
omar ()

A middle-aged man reciting poetry outside the door, walls sprawling with signs and flyers for local artists, and several potted plants sitting comfortably atop the shelves. As I stepped for the first time into Deep Roots Organic Co-op it was instantly clear that this was not your typical corner convenience store.

Concern over mankind’s carbon footprint as well as for the nutrition of non-organic foods has led to an explosion in the demand for organic products. Once labeled the domain of “earthy” types, organic shopping has gone mainstream, with chains such as Trader Joe’s and Earth Fare touting their wholesome selections. True to its name however, Deep Roots Market maintains significant ties to the Greensboro community.

Originally a vegetarian food-buying club operating in the basement of Mary Hobbs hall, Deep Roots has its humble origins in the eco-conscious practices of a handful of students during the late 60s. By 1976, the group finally had enough capital to purchase a small storefront near the UNCG campus. The current spacious location at 3728 Spring Garden was purchased by the store in 1990, and has continued to serve customers ever since.

As an independent grocery store, Deep Roots is not only unique as the only 100 percent organic marketplace in the Triad, but also because of its co-operative status. Governed by principles of open membership and community decision-making, the store is owned in equal shares by 1,700 members of the Greensboro Community, and run by an elected board of directors. The store has additionally banned plastic bags and recycles all of its waste-water, attesting to its commitment to sustainable practices.

Entering Deep Roots on a dreary Saturday afternoon, I was captivated by its homey atmosphere as I walked along the green-and-white linoleum. As a first time visitor, I was immediately struck by the sheer variety of what was available. Looking only at the types of loose-leaf teas and their countries of origin, I traveled across three continents to over a dozen countries.

Moving towards the back of the store I curiously eyed the dairy and frozen sections. In addition to the many soy and vegan based products, which are now more frequently found in larger grocery stores, were several items that I have rarely seen anywhere. Homemade butter — made only from sweet cream and salt — and kefir — a thick drink made from fermented milk — were just a couple of the unique items that caught my attention. For those nutrition-conscious pork-lovers out there, nitrite-free bacon is sold by popular demand.

However, the centerpiece of Deep Roots Market is without a doubt the organic produce section, which features an array of locally grown fruits and vegetables. My mouth watered as I observed the huge head of kale grown right here in North Carolina. Equally enticing were the baskets full of various locally grown squash, sweet potatoes, and collard greens. Needless to say, I was having premature fantasies of Thanksgiving.

As the public grows increasingly aware of the importance of sustainability, the recognition for benefits of buying local and organic foods has also grown. The creation of self-reliant local food economies, the minimization of environmental impact, and improved well-being are all advantages to eco-conscious consumption. In all of these respects, Deep Roots has been well ahead of the curve, its existence predating the organic craze by some three decades.

Even as larger chains have caught onto this trend, it maintains a large base of loyal customers. This alone indicates the desire not only for organic products, but for businesses which are intimately invested in their surrounding communities.

As college students we often feel too rushed to give much thought to our food consumption habits. As someone who had the fortune of growing up around the corner from a natural-foods co-op in Raleigh, however, I can say that the physical and mental rewards of buying organic are immeasurable.

So if you are out shopping this holiday season and want to consider an alternative to the norm, put this place on your list. You will not regret your visit, and I am certainly not regretting this delicious raw peanut butter as I spread it on a succulent locally grown apple.