Community Center renovations underway

On Aug. 25, at the Community Senate meeting, an idea was brought to the floor: to turn the Community Center into a combination study area and concert space.

“The Community Center is … where?” asked junior Berny Pellet when the topic of the Community Center was brought up.

When interviewed, there were many students who had trouble placing the small brick building nestled in the back of campus.

That is about to change.

“The community came up with the idea,” said Student Athletic Advisor and project head Justin Parker. “The space is not really being used right now and the community, as well as the administration, thought it essential to find ways to make it usable.”

The plan is to transform the space so it can be utilized as a study space and hang-out area by day and a concert space by night.

“This will be a student space,” said President of Community Senate Dana Hamdan. “Most facilities on campus can be reserved by faculty, staff, and students, according to priorities — basically who got to it first. Hopefully, during the day, we will be able to utilize this space 24/7, and have tables and chairs where people can hang out, listen to music, eat their pizza.”

“In the larger scheme of things, this place could essentially serve as a venue where we could have concerts and shows, anything student-led that would need open space,” Parker said.

The idea has received largely positive feedback.

“It will make the Community Center a more valuable piece of the campus,” said sophomore Anna Stoddard.

“I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone use the Community Center, so it would be pretty cool to have it renovated into a different space,” said first year Lucas Blanchard-Glueckert.

Those looking for more activities on campus after dark may also benefit from these changes.

“They (the community) are glad we’re taking the initiative to find a community space, and to also make the nightlife at Guilford a little bit more of an experience,” said Parker.

“I know both of us have been contacted with a lot of ideas,” Hamdan said. “Like, ‘oh, can we have this on the wall’ and ‘what about these kinds of tables?’ So, I think, for me, the fun part is to see students want to take responsibility in making this happen and not just waiting for one group to accomplish it.”

The proposal is to have the renovations done by spring, barring any complications.

“Student input would be greatly appreciated,” said Parker. “We love getting everyone’s point of view as to what could be essentially be added to the space since it has now officially been approved.