Stress management: utilize the simple things at your fingertips

Drinking beer all night, coffee all day, and sleeping minimal hours, all while studying to the brink of exhaustion is not the best way to manage stress. The body under stress needs to be nurtured, not beaten up.Stress and worry are at a peak during this time of the semester. Preparing for mid-term tests, writing papers, participating in clubs or sports, and maintaining relationships can easily overwhelm any student. How do you manage stress with so many things on your plate?

Combating these emotions does not have to be expensive or elaborate. It comes down to a few simple things: drinking water, meditation, deep breathing, attitude and healthy outlets.

Donna Burick ’82, a life coach and energy therapist, is an encyclopedia of knowledge on stress management and has many tools in her tool box to share. Burrick says that meditation is an easy form of relaxation.

“The prime purpose of meditation is to quiet the mind and de-stress the body, similar to defragging a computer,” said Burick, “so you are revitalized and ready to be back in the present moment.”

Senior Sasha Lipton Galbraith, a religious studies major, understands the benefit of stilling the mind after intense mental exhaustion.

“I meditate every morning,” said Galbraith. “It brings clarity to help structure my day in a manner where I can finish what I need to do. I’m able to be present and engaged in my work.”

According to Burick, the simplest meditation entails following your breath. These are satisfying breaths that nourish the lungs, not the shallow ones leaving them unsatisfied.

Burick said that a simple breathing exercise involves the following steps: inhale from the navel to the heart and pause for five seconds. Exhale from the heart back to navel and pause for another five seconds. Repeat these breaths for as long as you wish to meditate.

Burick also noted that dehydration is a natural stressor on the body. She recommends not only drinking water, but also calming herbal teas to relax the nervous system. The Greenleaf Co-op has many choices for the stressed-out student.

“I personally recommend chamomile tea,” said senior Becca Nicholson, who works at the Greenleaf. “All of them are good for stress relief, because you usually have to slow down to drink them.”

Attitude is another important factor. When the torrent of work mounts up, a positive mindset is a powerful tool – perhaps the most powerful tool you have.

“When you feel stressed, find three things to be grateful for,” Burick said. “Focus on the gratitude of these items and the body will start to relax.”

First-year John Michael Chelminski said that worry is a common feeling that presents itself when he runs down the list of things he needs to do.

“It’s hard to stay on task sometimes,” said Chelminski. “You start thinking about how you’re going to finish everything and it is best to try not to worry.”

Free time is scarce during the semester; but even when work seems overwhelming, a student can still find a unique and healthy outlet that helps them relax.

“I run track,” said Chelminski. “It takes my mind off things and makes me have to concentrate on my breath.”

“I don’t put my free time into partying,” said Galbraith. “I have five roommates and we all intentionally cook very slow meals for everyone. This is good for the cook and for those eating the meal.”

Senior and English major Matt Gaye has a creative outlet that helps him after long hours in the library.

“Playing into my artistic outlet is a way I relax,” said Gaye. “I go back home, play my guitar for an hour or so and it helps me.”

Students may not be able to control the workload they are given. They do have the power to control their free-time activities, and their mindset. A healthy outlook, coupled with exercise, lots of water, and a little meditation go a long way. The best part? These tools are free and can be accessed at any time.