Story mistakenly equates friends and Allies

The article “Rethinking sex and self at Guilford” addresses some necessary topics about physical and mental sexual health, and provides resources for students who need those services or are too reserved to ask for about them sooner. That is quite a feat. I was, however, disturbed by a certain line in the article. Toward the beginning, The Guilfordian mentions that Leia Waller has taken the role of President of Guilford PRIDE. It then describes PRIDE as “a support group for gay, lesbian, transgendered, bisexual and queer students and their friends.”

The first option to consider is that the term “friends” here is being used in the Quaker meaning. However, because the newspaper has a wider audience than only Quakers, I must assume that the authors were unaware of the significance of the “a” in the GLBTQA acronym, which PRIDE represents.

The “a” that was replaced with “friends” is the term “allies.” Allies are more than merely friends – a condescending word in this context. Allies are heterosexual people who are in support with and fighting for GLBTQQ rights. According to www.campuspride.org (a non-profit organization helping college campuses become safer for GLBTQQ peoples), allies “pledge to help end discrimination and provide a safe place by listening well, promoting inclusiveness, celebrating difference, and taking a stand against intolerance.”

Allies are integral supporters and contributors to the GLBTQQ community. Not only do they act as a force in legislation and community awareness, they also provide stability and mental health to the non-heterosexual people dealing with the consequences of being honest to themselves and their community.

Ally is not a term anyone can lightly use. An ally has decided to be a safe place for those who may not have one otherwise. To not give them the recognition and respect they deserve, especially by replacing this specific term with the word “friends,” is seen as an insult to both them and the GLBTQQ community they support.

I do not believe this article and line was written out of disrespect. But I do think this is an opportunity to be attentive to a mistake that is often overlooked.

Bree’ Shepard, junior and German major