Taylor Phillips: playing volleyball coast to coast

%28%29
()

From Sacramento to Greensboro one aspect of sophomore Taylor Phillips’ life has stayed consistent: volleyball.

When you move three thousand miles away from everything you know, athletics can become a way to vent from the struggles of life. For Phillips, volleyball has always been her outlet and coming to Guilford has just added to her love of the sport; by no means was the move easy though.

“It was terrifying,” said Phillips. “I left everything I had ever known, and it was the first time I had been to a state further east than Nevada. I was left all alone to figure everything out.”

It was especially difficult due to the fact that Phillips is a family oriented person. Simple affairs, such as a family dinner, remain fond memories of the past and matters to look forward to in the future.

“As cheesy as this sounds, I miss dinnertime the most,” said Phillips. “When my family sits down for dinner it is always such a great time. I have a large family and I miss having them around every day, whether it was wrestling around with my brother or playing volleyball with my dad or just watching a movie, it was always fun.”

The success Phillips has had at Guilford has eased the pain of missing home. Phillips has been a team captain since she was a freshman and last year was an honorable mention selection to the ALL-ODAC team.

Last year Phillips averaged 7.26 assists per set and became sixth in school history for assists by amassing 1,273 total. As a first-year player Phillips won Rookie of the year and stood atop the ODAC with 620 assists. She also is an honor roll student and the secretary for the Student Athlete Advisory Committee.

“Taylor has taken advantage of everything Guilford has offered, ranging from internships to study abroad opportunities,” said Head Coach Emily Gann. “And to see how she has grown and taken responsibility for all parts of her life has been special.”

First and foremost has always been volleyball though.

“My parents were both coaches so even though I joke about it, there really isn’t an opportunity in my life for anything outside of volleyball,” said Phillips.

After ten years of being a setter Phillips now makes the transition to libero, which is a position that focuses on defensive abilities. She has had few problems though and seems to be acquainted with the position just fine.

“Being a setter makes you know where everyone else is on the court and being aware of what is happening is crucial to the position,” said Phillips. “So through that I learned everything I needed to know about the other positions.”

That’s always the advantage Taylor will have. For her it is just volleyball. Phillips’ athletic skills, knowledge of the game and competitive edge combine to make a superb volleyball player, and a great teammate.

“Taylor is a very fast, quick off her feet type of athlete,” said Gann. “She plays aggressively and with a tenacity and effort that rubs off on other players.”

“When I see Taylor’s competitiveness it makes me want to win more,” said junior Traci Teague. “Our team has off days and the attitude brings the team down, but then we hear Taylor cheering us on positively we get right back at it.”

Phillips is never one to let down and the only way she knows how to attack the game is by putting forth all her effort.

“I go to practice and games and treat them like it will be my last time to play,” said Phillips. “I never know what season ending injury could happen and I like to think I go all out.”

Phillips has fought hard on and off the court and if it were up to her she wouldn’t change a single thing.

“I do not regret anything,” said Phillips. “Guilford has opened so many doors for me.”

The volleyball team faces Greensboro at home on Oct. 7 and Phillips’ confidence is sky high.

“When we are in system we literally are unstoppable, “said Phillips. “Unstoppable.”