Guilford is not a cop-free campus

Colorful cars boasting layers of free-thinking bumper stickers and foggy windows with the words “wash me” fingered into their frames – these are familiar sights in the Guilford parking lot. Amongst that an authoritative, black-and-white cop car stands out like a sore thumb, and can feel invasive.Recently, I have seen more cops patrolling campus grounds, and as a result I have been hearing more students complaining about their presence. There has been a long-time belief between students that, because Guilford is a private college, police are not allowed on the campus unless specifically called upon. That is simply false.

“Year after year this comes up,” said Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students Aaron Fetrow. “We’re in the city. They have jurisdiction over the city.”

In my time at Guilford, I have run into quite a few students who are very vocal about their dislike for authority figures. I can understand where they are coming from. Personally, I have held a grudge against cops ever since I was stopped for not wearing my seat belt in the passenger’s side of my mom’s car, making me late for an early morning exam and sticking me with a $200 fine.

“I think it’s pretty unsettling,” said sophomore Bri Skees. “Even if you’re not doing anything wrong I feel like the cops are watching and waiting. It takes away the laid-back atmosphere of Guilford.”

While I can understand Skees’ feelings, I think a majority of students have a misconception that cops are out to get them. This probably stems from the fact that most encounters with the police, including my own, are not exactly positive experiences. But the reality of the situation is that cops are not here to disrupt the peaceful aesthetic of Guilford, nor are they some sort of soulless vanquisher of fun. They are being called upon by the college to help out.

“Anytime the police are present it enhances the safety of the community,” said Director of Public Safety Ron Stowe. “Any presence that there is, they’re welcome.”

In the case of Hodgins last year, around 30 reports were made to the police by the Greensboro community surrounding the residences. With Hodgins now under the umbrella of the college and Public Safety, the problems with noise and disturbances to outside communities have significantly declined, leaving students to wonder why the police found the need to keep patrolling the area at the beginning of the 2010 year.

In fact, the reason was mostly due to a communication error. It was not until three weeks into the fall semester that the police were informed that Guilford had been keeping the area under control.

While Public Safety handles most of the offenses that take place at Guilford internally, police are not discouraged from having a presence on campus.

Students should recognize that a uniform alone is not something to freak out over. Fetrow pointed out to me that many of the cops I see on campus are, in fact, students themselves. He estimated around 12 CCE students are currently employed as cops and noted that it is not unusual for them to drive to the campus in their police cars or show up for class in uniform.

With Public Safety, residential advisors, and hall directors, I think that many of the minor problems such as noise disturbances and alcohol use can and should be handled internally. Still, I think students need to understand that Guilford is not and never has been some anti-police zone. Breaking the law yields consequences, even if it is something as insignificant as neglecting to buckle your seat belt. Guilford is not a sanctuary from that.