Off the field with Ronnie Castellanos and Freddy Gomez

Q: Why Guilford College?Freddy: I wasn’t planning to go to college, but I got a call from Coach Jeff Bateson a week before school started, asking me to consider Guilford.

Ronnie: I like the team, the coach and the great academic program.

Q: How many years have you been playing soccer? How did you get started?

Freddy: There is a picture of me at one year and eight months old with a soccer ball.

Ronnie: I’ve been playing my whole life. The first picture of me is from kindergarten, in a soccer uniform.

Q: The roster shows what you are local players. Where are you from?

Freddy: Chile originally, but I have been here four years.

Ronnie: Honduras. I have been here five years.

Q: How different is soccer in the U.S., as compared to your home country?

Freddy: People don’t play in the street here, but it’s everywhere back home.

Ronnie: There are more sport choices here, not in Honduras. I never saw basketball or football before I came to the U.S. Here, soccer is more on the books, not as free. It’s more spontaneous and less coached, natural, back home.

Q: Who is your role model?

Freddy: My dad motivated me to play. My favorite pro is Messi Lionel (an Argentine footballer).

Ronnie: My dad too. He played semi-pro.

Q: World Cup – who were you cheering for?

Freddy: Chile, of course. But in the final, Spain. They were having the most fun.

Ronnie: Honduras, who actually played Chile. But Spain in the final; it just looked beautiful.

Q: What is Coach Bateson’s coaching style like?

Freddy: He always knows the best thing for you. He knows what he is doing, and he is a nice guy. Our assistant coaches are making a huge impact on us too.

Ronnie: It was tough as a freshman getting used to a different style of coaching. Around mid-season, I got it. He is a great guy and he’s wise too.

Q: Do you plan to pursue soccer professionally? If not, what are your career plans?

Freddy: Yes. I would like to go to Mexico to play.

Ronnie: Yes. My mom says to go for something more professional, that will last longer and to finish my education first. Soccer ends at age 35, so I need something for after that.

Q: How do you feel about the 2010 season, with the majority of the team being returning players?

Freddy: It’s good. We have 5 seniors, 32 total players.

Ronnie: Yeah, we have more experience and are more mature.

Q: After a tough game, what do you do to re-energize yourself?

Freddy: We talk about the game, argue about the plays. Then we refocus and think about the future. Before the game, I eat a salad, some chicken and a banana. Then I go somewhere quiet to be alone and pray, pray to my Dad.

Ronnie: I just focus on the next game. I take care of my body and get lots of rest. I do wear different socks inside my soccer socks every game and tape my wrists. I also listen to music. “La Mano el Dios” by Walter Olmos. It’s about this Argentinean soccer player, Marado. It gets us pumped up for the game. (Writer note: the song translates as “The Hand of God”)

Q: What do you, besides soccer, for fun?

Freddy: Mostly stay at home with my brother and sister. I play ping-pong a lot with Ronnie. I also play video games, like FIFI ’10.

Ronnie: I like to go out with my friends, I am always going and always busy. I don’t watch TV.

Q: What else would you like the Guilfordian readers to know about you?

Ronnie: We want to thank our fans who cheer for us if we win or lose. We appreciate it. The people make me play better. We love soccer.

Freddy: Everybody likes it when my family comes and brings the drums and the vuvuzela (the horns that were used during the World Cup).