Quakers talk the talk before season opener

School is underway. We’re nearing the end of North Carolina summer. It’s time for football. The Quakers went 3-7 last season. Grumblings about lack of discipline and inexperience bubbled up surrounding the team last year, a team that had just four seniors. Head coach Kevin Kiesel thinks his players learned the necessary lessons.

“Now we have a team that’s experienced,” said Kiesel, whose coaching record in his five seasons at Guilford is 25-25. “We got better and better as the year went on (last year).”

Kiesel says every good team he has ever coached has three characteristics: selflessness, consistency, and leadership. He can preach selflessness and consistency; leaders put those characteristics into practice.

“David LaPlaca is our leader,” said junior offensive lineman T.J. McCay. “He doesn’t say much, but what he does say is important; he leads by example – he’s the hardest working guy on the team.”

LaPlaca, a junior outside linebacker, won the team’s captaincy easily.

“We have a lot of faith in the system,” said LaPlaca. “We have one common goal: winning.”

When asked if this year feels different than last year when heading into the season, players and coaches echo each other with a unanimous confidence.

“We’re coming together,” said junior offensive lineman Evan Bowers. “We have a good bond.”

“The attitude’s great, the leadership is great,” said Kiesel. “They’re practicing hard, and there is competition at every spot on the field.”

While chemistry appears to be a strength, executing on the field provides a different kind of obstacle. Guilford hired new offensive coordinator Dan Baranik in the offseason to improve an offense that last season lacked direction.

“We had a good change in coaching staff,” said junior wide receiver D.J. Wilson. “We’re watching a lot of film, and we’re making the necessary adjustments.”

Bowers believes the renewed sense of discipline on offense stems from Baranik’s fresh approach. The players get excited when they talk about the new offense. They’re eager.

The one thing they didn’t want to talk about: weaknesses. Bowers and LaPlaca looked blankly at each other when asked about any concerns heading into the season.

“I guess health is our biggest weakness right now,” said LaPlaca. “I can’t think of anything else.”

Last season, the Quakers’ offense averaged 4.5 yards a play, half a yard less than the 5.0 yards a play they gave up to their opponents when the Quakers played defense. And despite the athleticism of running backs Justin Parker and Mike Williams, the Quakers averaged 3.6 yards per carry when running the football.

Opposing defenses knew they could focus on the Quakers’ running game, as Guilford averaged 5.7 yards per passing play, a number that would make opposing safeties dance with anticipation. Junior quarterback Luke Vandal must prove himself to be dangerous, or the offense will collapse into dull ineffectiveness again.

Star senior running back Parker has an MCL injury, and McCay has a shoulder injury, but both should return by the season opener against Greensboro College on Sept. 4.

Kiesel and his coaching staff understand how the cross-town rivalry works.

“The game is gonna go down to the last play,” said Kiesel. “Hold on to your seats.”

However, the players think we’ll be holding on to our seats deep into the fall. Bowers and LaPlaca had one more thing to say.

“We might just be ODAC champs,” said Bowers.

“That’s what we plan on doing,” added LaPlaca.

The Quakers clearly talk the talk. We’ll see if they can walk the walk starting Sept. 4 at 7 p.m. at the Armfield Athletic Center. It’s time for some football.