The Backstop: Tiger Woods will be known for golfing legacy foremost

Over the past four months, the life of golf’s biggest name has been under intense scrutiny. Rumors surfaced that Tiger Woods was cheating on his wife, Elin Nordegren, with roughly nine other women. After admitting to the accusations, Tiger took a break from golf.

Recently, Tiger announced his return to golf in April for the Masters. At the first grand slam tournament of the year, some of Tiger’s oldest fans will continue cheering. But there is some speculation that he will be booed and heckled. But come on, seriously, it’s golf.

Tiger Woods is no Happy Gilmore: he may help draw the younger crowds, but he won’t draw any bleacher bums at a prestigious golf event.

It is only a matter of time until all of Tiger’s ex-fans will be won over again. Let’s face it, the guy is great under pressure and will come back better than ever to win the next grand slam.

Yes, Tiger has tainted his family image, but people forgive and forget: some of the greatest athletes of all time have dealt with controversy, only to come back stronger than ever.

Like Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant, who both allegedly cheated on their wives, Tiger will return to competition, continue winning, and everyone will forget. And when that happens, the endorsements will return.

The reason superstar athletes are so easily forgiven is because they are winners. It is their job to sink the game-winning three, hit a grand slam in the bottom of the ninth or the chip shot for birdie on the 18th to win by one stroke.

Tiger is a winner, and the famous Tiger smile will soon re-emerge. This little “incident” will just be another bump on the road paved to Tiger’s golf immortality.

Tiger’s legacy is definitely tarnished at the moment, but he has a higher chance than any other athlete ever to make a comeback of titanic proportions. His return to golf will likely be bigger than the inauguration of Obama.

The reason Tiger’s return to golf is so publicized is the fact that golf needs him. Tiger doesn’t revolve around golf; golf revolves around Tiger.