Greensboro’s Best-Kept Secrets: City parks and gardens offer variety of options for spring

You probably missed the reenactment of the Battle of Guilford Courthouse earlier this month at Country Park, but fortunately, as the temperature rises, so does the number of opportunities for exploration in the city’s parks and gardens. The Greensboro Parks & Recreation Department divides the city’s parks into three categories: neighborhood, regional and watershed. Most neighborhood parks are equipped with little more than a playground and green grass, though some host sports games and have restrooms.

The regional parks are significantly more interesting and offer an array of exciting outdoor activities of which the community can take advantage

Barber Park – 1500 Dans Rd.

Upcoming Event: Official opening of the “sprayground” May 31

Looking to play Frisbee golf? Say no more. Barber Park’s 18-hole disc golf course is waiting for you. Starting May 31, the water playground, or “sprayground,” will be open to the public for just $2/person.

Price Park – 1420 Price Park Drive

Upcoming Free Event: Earth Day Celebration April 10 from 1-5 p.m.

Just around the corner from campus, off New Garden Road, the 98-acre Price Park is one of the city’s more beautiful locations. Encompassing the Kathleen Clay Edwards Library and a bird and butterfly meadow, Price Park is a great place to walk your dog, have a picnic, or do some homework with less distraction.

Hagan-Stone Park – 5920 Hagan-Stone Park

Upcoming Free Event: Pickin’ in the Park Bluegrass Festival May 15, 11 a.m.-6 p.m.

Beginning April 3, every weekend you can rent kayaks and canoes at Hagan-Stone Park from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Take advantage of their fishing ponds, horseshoe pits, hiking trails, concerts, and year-round campgrounds.

Bur-Mil Park – 5834 Bur-Mil Club Rd.

Upcoming Event: Wilderness Survival Skills class ($2) April 10, 10 a.m.-12 p.m.

Bur-Mil Park offers not only a par 3 golf course, but also a cheap driving range ($3 for 35 balls). Go swimming at the Family Aquatic Center or explore one of the hiking and biking trails. Fitness classes are available, as well as a fly-fishing class on March 27.

The city also maintains three “watershed parks,” which are located at Lake Higgins, Lake Brandt, and Lake Townsend. At each of these watershed parks, you can rent rowboats, kayaks, canoes, and sailboats.

Not comfortable with your sailing or kayaking skills? There are classes available for both at Lake Higgins (336-373-3739) and Lake Brandt (336-373-3741). Archery classes are also offered at Lake Townsend (336-373-3694). Together, the three parks boast over 36 miles of trails.

Don’t miss the gardens. Arguably more beautiful than the city’s parks are its gardens, particularly the Bicentennial Garden, Bog Garden, and the Greensboro Arboretum. It’s common to stroll through any of these and see people having wedding photos taken because the scenery is so striking.

The Bicentennial Garden and Bog Garden are located close together on Hobbs Road near the Friendly Center. Visit both in one day and fall asleep in the sun, or stop into the David & Rachel Caldwell Historical Center adjacent to the Bicentennial Garden.

The Greensboro Arboretum, which is off Market Street at 401 Ashland Drive, contains a rose garden as one of its 12 permanent plant collections. The Arboretum also has display gardens as part of its 17-acre area. A number of concerts and other cultural events are held in the Arboretum, so be on the lookout for more exciting happenings.