The Backstop: Skiing vs. boarding

I’m not very coordinated, and anyone who knows me well can entertain you with stories of me falling up stairs and tripping over fairly large objects on the floor. Yet, as often as possible, I strap a couple waxed boards to my feet and go sliding down a snow-covered mountain. This is not a death wish; I simply love skiing.Having been a skier for 20 years, I must admit I laugh whenever I see someone biff it (fall down), especially if that someone is a snowboarder. Of course, I laugh hysterically when I biff it, too. But there is an obvious rivalry between skiers and snowboarders.

Skiers and snowboarders alike tend to think the other is arrogant. This creates tension on the slopes. I’ve heard several skiers and snowboarders at ski resorts angrily claim that the other is tearing up their snow and they should have their own trails that the others aren’t allowed on.

But alas, I must face facts. No matter how much I laugh at snowboarders when they go down in a billowing cloud of snow, I admire their skill.

The 2010 Olympics are a prime example of just how talented snowboarders (and skiers) can be. Olympic skiers and boarders make their sport look like an art, and they make it look so very easy. It isn’t all that easy, as those of you who board or ski can attest.

I, for instance, tried snowboarding when I was 17. I did okay going down the mountain but I kept winding up on a cat track (fairly flat part of the trail). I got going a little too fast for the bump I hit and ended up doing a back flip. I haven’t touched a snowboard since.

For me, though, skiing is about the solitude and sheer joy of soaring down a mountain. It is an incredible feeling to face a mountain. The first thing I do when I get off a ski lift is take in the majesty of the nature surrounding me. Weaving through trees and passing others on my way down is simply indescribable.

So, since we all seek out snow-covered mountains for the same reasons, why can’t we all just get along and share the mountain? Skiing and snowboarding are arts, and not everyone can do them. We all head to the slopes out of our love for flying down snowy mountains with waxed boards on our feet.

At the same time, when it’s the season, you’ll see me trudging up the hill in my ski boots, my K2s slung across my shoulders, laughing every time I see a snowboarder biff. It’s all part of the sport.