Guilford College Republicans a safe haven for conservative students

Calling all elephants – there’s a new Republican organization on campus. It’s called Guilford College Republicans, and, as of last week, it’s an official club.Some believe the establishment of this club symbolizes a shifting student demographic. While this may be true, let us not forget some of the values that our school holds dearly: diversity, equality, and justice. It’s only fair that there be a Guilford College Republicans club since there’s already a Guilford College Democrats club.

“I’m a Republican on a noticeably liberal campus and I wanted there to be a place for Republicans to get together and discuss their thoughts and opinions,” said sophomore Claire Massagee, one of three chairpersons for the organization.

As a senior, I’m well aware that there has never before been a pervasive presence of Republicans on campus. All past attempts to establish a club have been foiled by lack of interest and numbers. So why is this Republican presence emerging now?

It could have to do with the election of Republican Scott Brown in Massachusetts, in what some are calling a “Republican resurgence.” It could have to do with the obvious shift in student demographics. There are more athletes and in-state students now, some of whom seem to be more conservative.

But, in all honesty, I’m not sure where all the Republicans are coming from or why. Truth be told, it doesn’t matter.

The core question is this: at a college that promotes and cherishes such values as equality and justice, why has it taken so long for there to be a respective counter-part to Guilford College Democrats?

In an unofficial constitution submitted to Senate, the new club included the following in their mission statement: “Despite the conservative foundation of the College Republicans, the organization will actively seek to understand other political leanings, rather than seek solely to be understood.”

If that doesn’t fit in with the tolerant and open-minded values of the school, I don’t know what does.

Now, don’t get me wrong – I’m definitely a liberal. I voted for Obama. One of the main reasons I chose Guilford specifically was because it has a largely liberal student body.

But, I also believe in fairness and impartiality. It’s only right that the college harbor a Republicans club, even if the club’s presence represents a coming apocalypse for some.

Establishing this club is a step in the right direction if Guilford is serious about upholding its core values. Where past attempts have failed, this one may too. Yet, with almost 30 members already, Guilford College Republicans have already proven that they will give conservative students a place to call home on this predominantly liberal campus.